Q. My mom is extremely depressed and angry. How to deal with her?

Dr. Parth Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 17, 2020

My mom is extremely depressed and showing the anger towards my dad with the wrong assumptions. She is not at all listening to our words. Whenever we advise on this, she is showing abnormal anger, which is unusual. I tried to take her to a psychiatrist, but she is not ready to come. She had the same issue before four years and was rectified after consulting with a psychiatrist. Can you please suggest or guide to deal this.

#

• First of all we need to establish whether she is really suffering from depression or any other mental illness.
  1. Loss of interest in previously enjoyable activities.
  2. Persistent sadness.
  3. Low energy and fatigue.
  4. Disturbed sleep.
  5. Ideas of hopelessness, helplessness and worthlessness.
  • But, the way you have described the symptoms, it appears that she might be suffering from some psychotic illness. In such cases, the patient develops irrational and illogical beliefs, becomes suspicious and fearful towards family members and is often agitated.
  • If such patients refuse to go to a psychiatrist, then covert medication in the form of dispersal tablets or liquids can be given.
  • Antipsychotic drugs like Olanzapine are available in dissolving and dispersal form. You can consult a specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult a psychologist counsellor online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychologist-counsellor

How to collect the tablets?

#

• Antidepressant or antipsychotic medication should only be taken under direct supervision of a psychiatrist. They are not available without a valid prescription.
  • Medicine that we use in psychotic patients includes Risperidone, Olanzapine, Aripiprazole, etc.

|