Q. Why does puberphonia occur?

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 10, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 17, 2021

I am a 23 year old male. My voice sounds like a girl's voice. Whenever someone hears my voice over the phone, then often respond me as if I am a girl. I have heard that this can be corrected through speech therapy and voice therapy. Please guide me about this.

#

• The problem you suffering from is puberphonia and it can be corrected through speech therapy.
  • Consult a proper speech therapist either nearby your area or you can consult online.

For further information consult a speech therapist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/speech-therapist

To add above, when I speak with anyone directly my voice does not seem much like that of girl, but when I talk on the phone or my voice is recorded, it seems like of a girl. Why does puberphonia occur? What type of speech therapy do I need? Do I need to take some medicine or some voice training or do I need any operation?

#

• Puberphonia occurs due to either of two reasons. First, in layman terms, you can say that your vocal folds have not decended.
  • The second reason is non-organic where you might have refused the voice changes unknowingly during your puberty by maintaining your voice, which was before the pitch breaks or either your father's voice is slightly high pitched.
  • You require undergoing voice therapy to reduce the pitch. If the reason for puberphonia is organic, then you will be referred to your speech therapist for appropriate measures.

|