Q. For depression, I am taking Escitalopram for two years. Should I stop the drug gradually?

Dr. Surabhi
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 27, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 11, 2021

I am a 41-year-old male. I am taking Escitalopram for two years now as I developed anxiety and a feeling of being generally worried. I had depression in my past and took Sertraline for the last seven to ten years. When I stopped it two years back, I started to have anxiety and a generalized feeling of being worried. Is it good to stop this medicine now? If so, how to stop it? Do I need to stop it gradually?

#

Currently, you are having a second episode of depression. I suggest you take Escitalopram for a minimum course of two years completely. As you have taken medicine already for two years, then you can taper the medicine gradually. The dose reduction should be very gradual. If you taper your medicines immediately during this phase, then you can have any relapse or reemergence of symptoms suggestive of depression or anxiety. Then you need to take medicines for a longer duration. Kindly mention the current dose of Escitalopram for having proper advice regarding dose reduction. I suggest you have cognitive behavioral therapy as this reduces the risk of relapse or depression. Kindly mention the past history and drug history in detail for having proper advice.

|