Q. I am unable to handle the withdrawal effect of Zoloft. What should I do?

Dr. Aditya Gupta
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I have been on Zoloft for 14 years. I am on the maximum dose of 200 mg. I have been struggling with anxiety due to menopause. My general doctor thought it might be a good idea to switch my medication. She recommended that I go down to 100 mg a week on the Zoloft and then go to Pristiq. The problem is that the with drawl is so bad at the 100 mg I cannot handle it. So I started over going down to 175 mg and then to 150, and it was awful. I was in such bad shape I could not do it. Can I go from taking a select to write into the new prescription?

Do you have a question on Quitting Antidepressant or Sertraline?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Aditya Gupta

MBBS., MD
Psychiatry Sexology

As you are having severe withdrawals and discontinuation symptoms even after lowering the dose to 175 mg, I would suggest you consult a psychiatrist in person for evaluation, and then you can discuss with him or her regarding the following, As the reason for the change of medicine is anxiety during menopause, i.e., a new issue besides one for which you were taking Zoloft (Sertraline) (and it was working fine), instead of cross tapering you can go for augmentation.

Mirtazapine or Celexa (Citalopram) is a few options to go with adding a short term Benzodiazepine like Ativan to help you with withdrawal symptoms. Also, do practice relaxation techniques like breath relaxation exercises daily as it will help you relax and eases your anxiety. Checking your thyroid status is also necessary. I hope this solves your query. Feel free to ask if you have any further questions.

TFT (thyroid function test).

What is augmentation?

Dr. Aditya Gupta

MBBS., MD
Psychiatry Sexology

Augmentation means adding a second medicine to enhance the work of first one. Like what you are currently doing is cross tappering i.e decreasing Zoloft and at the same time introducing Prestiq once you came to 100 mg of Zoloft. While in augmentation there is no need to decrease Zoloft, instead we add another medicines, to increase the effect of first one or in your case to improve the symptoms of anxiety. I hope you got my point now. Feel free to ask if you have any further queries.

Also Read Answers From: Quitting Antidepressant Sertraline

Do Zoloft cause muscle pain, cramps or tingling?
Query: Hello doctor, Do Zoloft cause muscle pain and cramps or tingling?  Read Full »
Dr. Vandana Patidar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, Zoloft (Sertraline) may cause muscle cramps, tingling by disturbing blood sodium chloride levels. Zoloft is an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor), which may cause a disturbance in these ions (sodium and chloride) hence may cause it. Get the blood test...  Read Full »

What are the side effects of Tizanidine?
Query: Hello doctor, I started taking 2 mg of Tizanidine today due to severe spasms. I am directed to take one in the morning and two before bed. I was advised to take a total of 6 mg per day. However, I am having the issues of dizziness and lightheadedness, sweating, agitation and anxiousness, super crazy...  Read Full »
Dr. Danish Qureshi
Pharmacologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tizanidine along with Sertraline is known for severe drug interactions. The severity of your side effects signifies that you are having intense side effects and interactions. You should immediately contact your nearby physician and get yourself examined. For further infor...  Read Full »

Will erection problem persist after discontinuation of antidepressant?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 23 years old and I am on Citalopram, Buspirone, and Valium. In the past few weeks, I have stopped taking Valium. I am taking only 2.5 mg to wean off and just today I discontinued the Citalopram as well after gradually cutting down from 40 mg to 10 over the last two weeks. I still ...  Read Full »
Dr. Vivekanandan G
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the erection problem is due to antidepressants, then it will become invariably normal once you stop the medications. In your case, the reason must be marijuana. I think it is better you stop that and also get your early morning serum testosterone assay done. For furthe...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now