Quitting Smoking

What causes pink discoloration of lower lips?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a male and half of my lower lip color has changed to pink and it looks bad. I want to bring it back to normal color. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Community Medicine Physician, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Preventive Medicine Physician, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for your query on this platform. It may be initial phase of vitiligo a hypopigmentary disorder. Avoid smoking and taking very hot food or drinks. Avoid biting or licking lips often. Take antioxidant tablets. You can try initially with a steroid cream...  Read Full »

Is leukoplakia curable?

Query: Hello doctor, My father went to a dentist as he had white patches in his gums and mouth. The dentist told that it is an oral leukoplakia. He asked him to stop smoking immediately. It is a serious condition which can turn into cancer. He advised stopping smoking for three months. After that, he ca...  Read Full »

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentist, Orthodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Leukoplakia is a premalignant lesion. This means that it is not cancer yet and can be reversed. And hence there is no need to worry about staging. If your father stops smoking, it should regress with time. And later if required, some medication can be given to further ...  Read Full »

Can smoking cause clubbed nails?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old male, who weighs 195 lbs and I am 5.10 feet tall. All of my fingers are clubbed. My nails have become wide and thick giving them an abnormal round appearance. The skin above my cuticles is slightly raised and red. My nails do not extend straight out, but they curve d...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity) of your nails and fingers, and it is in fact clubbing. The cause is smoking-induced lung damage and bronchiectasis. Regarding the reversibility, we cannot be sure at this moment, as it will depend ...  Read Full »

Can a dentist tell if you smoke from looking inside the mouth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am going to remove my impacted wisdom tooth in two days. I am a frequent smoker. Can a dentist tell if I smoke or not by just seeing inside my mouth? If yes, how can I prevent the dentist from knowing that I am a smoker? Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Nisha Ashokkumar Agrawal

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query. Do not smoke before the dentist appointment. First of all, I would like to tell you that smoking before tooth extraction is problematic for you. If you smoke before extraction, anesthesia will not be effective. And you will experience too much of pai...  Read Full »

Does dry socket result from smoking 24 hours after tooth extraction?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my lower back tooth pulled out three days back. It took a lot of effort to pull it out, as it was not loose. I have a little pain in that area and in my jaw, and I am terrified that I have or I am getting a dry socket. I am a smoker, and I waited for 24 hours before I smoked afte...  Read Full »

Dr. Purva Jingar

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems like a dry socket, but wait for a week, for it to heal. Also, if the pain exceeds more than seven days, then visit a dentist and get an x-ray done. Until then, follow the prescribed medications and quit smoking, as it is not a good habit. Drink lots of water,...  Read Full »

I have chronic cough even after quitting smoking before years. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 53 years old, and have quit smoking 19 years ago. I still have a chronic cough. Each specialist tells me something different. The pulmonologist told me it was asthma, and another doctor said it was acid reflux disease. Now they are telling me it is COPD. I do not have diminished...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is not much of difference between asthma and COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). COPD is usually seen in a person who has smoked a lot while asthma is seen from childhood, which is not in your case. Acid reflux can cause prolonged duration cough, but...  Read Full »

What is linea alba on the cheek?

Query: Hello doctor, I have white lining on both sides of inner cheek between lower and upper teeth from the last three months. l feel raised line when I wake up in the morning. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Menon

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is quite normal. Unless you have pain and irritation at the area. This is called linea alba. In case you get itching and pain, then please consult your dentist for physical evaluation. For further doubts consult a dentist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-do...  Read Full »

Please suggest the best option to quit smoking.

Query: Hi doctor, Among Nicotine gum, Bupron and Varenicline, which is better for quit smoking? Please suggest.  Read Full »

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia

General Practitioner, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. All three have different indications. Still Varenicline is best to control smoking. They are known to reduce craving. Bupropion is preferred, if associated depressive symptoms present. Nicotine gum or patch preferred, if person is not able to control desire by above th...  Read Full »

Is there any medicine available to stay away from cigarette smoking?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to leave cigarette smoking. So, please help me and give a solution. Is there any ayurvedic medicine available then please tell me.  Read Full »

Dr. Parth Singh

Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is no short cut to quit smoking. There are two methods you can try. The natural method. You decrease the number of cigarettes by 20 % each week till you reach to a point where you smoke only 4 to 5 cigarettes per day. Then reduce it by one each week. the other metho...  Read Full »

Will Nicotex chewing gum help me quit smoking?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old male and a regular smoker. I do smoke 10-15 cigarettes a day and have been smoking like this for almost 10 years now. When I started, I used different brands, from ultra mild to regular bidis. But now, for almost 3 years I am stuck with regular gold flake.Now, I am ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have been a chronic smoker since last 10 years smoking 10-15 cigarettes per day, the body is presently addicted to nicotine and hence if you intend to leave it for a day, the nicotine withdrawal sets in. This may include: Headache. Nausea. Constipation or...  Read Full »

All the answers published in the forum are given by leading doctors, therapists and health experts.