Rabies Vaccination

Can I have rabies even after getting vaccinated after dog bite?

Query: Hi doctor, I was bitten by a dog last year. The gate of the dog was wide open and when I passed near it, the dog bit me. It bit me on my right leg. After that, I rushed to the hospital for vaccination. The nurse injected something on the wound every time when I went to the hospital. They also injec...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. You do not need to worry because you are safe and you do not have rabies. So please leave your fear. Usually, when the dog dies within two weeks we suspect that the dog can have rabies. But in your case, it has been nine months, and you got va...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to take rabies vaccine from the initial dose if I was bitten by a dog again?

Query: Hello doctor, I took two shots of antirabies vaccine, but a street dog (puppy) bit me again one day before the third shot. What should I do? Should I continue the vaccination process or start again from the initial dose?  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Pulmonologist, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you are taking the antirabies vaccination, and you have already completed two doses of the rabies vaccine. But it is a matter of sorrow that you have gotten another bite from a street dog again one day before ...  Read Full »

What is the chance of rabies infection even after getting vaccines?

Query: Hello doctor, I had exposure to a dog bite before six months while cycling. I could not see any abrasion on the leg nor blood. I could feel the teeth on my leg and immediately went to the hospital and took the rabies vaccine and tetanus as I was denied immunoglobulin. I clearly remember taking the ...  Read Full »

Dr. S D Sinha

Family Physician, Infectious Diseases Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It appears that your first vaccine post-exposure prophylaxis was inappropriate. Neither you received full course nor antirabies Ig. You were WHO category II exposure and should have taken all five doses since it appears that was your first exposure. The next two ...  Read Full »

Do I need to take the rabies vaccine if a dog's teeth or tongue touched my finger?

Query: Hello doctor, When I was feeding a wild dog, accidentally, the dog's teeth touched my fingers, maybe the tongue also touched my fingers. I returned to my home and cleaned my hands with running water, soap, and handwash. And then, I applied Suthol and Boroline. Though there is no bleeding, should I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If there is no bleeding or injury mark, then no need for a vaccine. Suppose it was a simple lick or the teeth just touched, then no need to worry. Just follow the dog for 14 days. If he does not run away, then everything will be fine. Please send a picture of your finge...  Read Full »

When is the right time to get rabies shots?

Query: Hi doctor, The community dog that lives at my doorstep got a little angry at me. I was petting like every day after his snacks, and he snapped at me. It was just a warning snap, and there is no change in the dog’s character. Teeth might have touched my withdrawing arm but no scratch, blood, o...  Read Full »

Dr. Balamurugan

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. I am answering your query. Rabies is a deadly disease, and there are no contraindications for vaccination. According to your history, exposure may fall under the category I cannot know for sure without a physical examination. The exposed area ...  Read Full »

How many shots do you need after a dog scratches you?

Query: Hi doctor, I was scratched by a stray dog as he got excited while I fed him, and his nail scratched my knee. The dog was calm and had no unusual behavior. I washed the scratch and went to the emergency room for an injection. Doctor gave Rabivax and said immunoglobulin is not required as the scratch...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You should not be worried much because you have got vaccinated, even with immunoglobulin. Please observe the dog, and if nothing changes, you can be chill. And if you are very curious, you can get follow-up vaccines on days 3, 7, 14, and 28. And if you get any symptoms...  Read Full »

How to treat a dog bite?

Query: Hello doctor, I got bit by a dog right by my wrist on Friday afternoon and until today it has been swollen, red, and a bit warm to the touch. Today, it is still tender to touch but not nearly as warm or swollen but is quite stiff. I work a job where I am fairly active (walking, pulling, light lifti...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Wajid

Physiotherapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have been bitten by a dog, it is important to tend to the injury right away to reduce your risk of bacterial infection. You also should assess the wound to determine the severity. In some instances, you will be able to administer first aid to yourself. In other c...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to get rabies vaccination if a vaccinated pet dog scratches you?

Query: Hi doctor, I have scratched by my pet vaccinated dog today few hours ago. Also there was no bleeding in my hand. But there is some redness there. So guide me that it is still necessary to have ARV. Also before 5months ago i was vaccinated with arv when there is scratch of dog then .  Read Full »

Dr. Kapil Gupta

Answer: Hello. Welcome to icliniq. Although unvaccinated animals are more likely to transmit rabies, vaccinated animals can also do so if the vaccination of the biting animal was ineffective for any reason. A history of rabies vaccination in an animal is not always a guarantee that the biting animal is not...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to take rabies vaccine again, if I get hurt by a dog after 2 doses of the same?

Query: Hi doctor, I am taking rabies vaccination. Right now I have completed two doses of my injection. My question is if I get another bite during my vaccination do I have to restart my rabies course from starting or should I continue the same course?  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you are taking rabies vaccination and you have already completed two doses of rabies vaccine. Now you want to know what will you do if you get another bite during your vaccination. And the answer is simple t...  Read Full »

A dog scratch with no blood cause rabies?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 35 year old male. While I was walking in road in possession, two dogs were behind me. When one dog tried to cross me and its front left leg touched my right foot toe. I saw nothing in my foot initially and it happened around 9 AM. At 10 AM, I washed it with soap and I saw a line ...  Read Full »

Dr. Arun R Kaushik

Microbiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From what you have written, I feel that you have a grade one scratch. Since no bleeding was there, you need not worry. Usually claws do not contain any virus, but cannot always be sure. I suggest you to get a prophylactic vaccination done for rabies. Usually, dose of...  Read Full »