Rabies Vaccination

A dog scratch with no blood cause rabies?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 35 year old male. While I was walking in road in possession, two dogs were behind me. When one dog tried to cross me and its front left leg touched my right foot toe. I saw nothing in my foot initially and it happened around 9 AM. At 10 AM, I washed it with soap and I saw a line ...  Read Full »

Dr. Arun R Kaushik

Microbiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From what you have written, I feel that you have a grade one scratch. Since no bleeding was there, you need not worry. Usually claws do not contain any virus, but cannot always be sure. I suggest you to get a prophylactic vaccination done for rabies. Usually, dose of...  Read Full »

A puppy's teeth touched my finger without any wound or bleeding. Kindly advise.

Query: Hello doctor, A 45-day-old street puppy's teeth touched my finger yesterday but there was no bleeding. Puppy is also fine. What should I do? Please advise me.  Read Full »

Dr. Diwanshu

Pharmacologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Just tell me whether the puppy's teeth just touched your finger or you got wound also? In case, you just got a touch, then nothing to do but in case, you got a wound then keep the wound clean. Keep a check on the dog also. Meet nearby doctor in case you have a wound. A ...  Read Full »

Will taking pre-exposure prophylaxis and rabies boosters after eight months of exposure help?

Query: Hi doctor, Eight months bank a street dog scratched my hand. I was dumb and stupid enough then. I did not take any vaccines. Now I am very worried and highly panicked. If I take pre-exposure prophylaxis and rabies boosters now, will it save my life? Rabies symptoms have still not appeared in me but...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, rabies virus starts showing its signs in your body between a time frame of 1 to 3 months to one year (depends on type and location of exposure). Now, if you were scratched and there was no bleeding we consider it as category 2 dog bite. Initial symptoms of rabies ...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to give vaccination to my baby for a cat scratch?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby is 22 months old. Yesterday, a cat scratched his toe. But my child does not have a wound or blood there. Do I have to give vaccination to my baby?  Read Full »

Dr. Amit Modi

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. A cat has scratched your child, and it has not caused any barrier disruption or wound or bleeding. But still, it is advisable to clean the area with running water and soap. Apply some antiseptic in the area. Rabies is generally transmitted by animal saliva when it comes...  Read Full »

Can rabies spread through standing bare-foot on rat's blood?

Query: Hello doctor, I stood on a rat's blood that my assistant killed about half an hour after the incident. It was hit on the head so I presume there was some saliva in the blood, I was obviously bare-footed and have no open sores on my feet but do have cracked heels. Is there any way I could have contr...  Read Full »

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand that you are worried but the chances of you contracting rabies from a pool of blood while may or may not have saliva of a bat which might or might not have been rabid are quite slim. However, if your heels are cracked enough to have caused an opening in the...  Read Full »

Can a dog scratch cause rabies?

Query: Hello doctor, My dog scratched me with its claws. So, what should I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If your pet dog is vaccinated and if the attack was provoked and if there was no bleeding then you just need to observe the dog for ten days, and chances of contracting rabies are very little or nil. However, if there was any bleeding, the attack was unprovoked and i...  Read Full »

Can the rabies virus survive outside the host animal under sunlight?

Query: Hello doctor, Can the rabies virus survive outside the host animal under sunlight?  Read Full »

Dr. Tamas Das

Microbiologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Rabies virus is not very robust under external environmental conditions. Direct sunlight and lack of humidity are very deleterious to its survival. It might survive for a couple hours or so, but there is no definitive proof. Rather what is important are the precautions ...  Read Full »

Vaccinated dog bite my daughter. Is anti-rabies vaccine needed?

Query: Dear Doctor, My daughter is 5 years old. A vaccinated dog scratched her right hand with its teeth. There is no skin damage but deep red mark is visible. Is anti-rabies vaccine optional or compulsory for her?  Read Full »

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query on icliniq.com. Let me explain the seriousness of the deep red marks simply : Visible deep red marks could mean a very small wound but it is still a large door for rabies virus to enter. If rabies has once developed, then it has no treatment. Prevention by anti-rabie...  Read Full »

A stray dog bit me few hours back. What to do next?

Query: Hello doctor, A stray dog bit me a few hours back. I washed the wound with soap and water. And I took tetanus from a pharmacy. What to do next? Any food which I should not eat during this period?  Read Full »

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetologist, Family Physician, Microbiologist, Nutritionist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You did a very good job of washing with soap and water. It is important to apply a soap that foams well to wash off local viruses. An antitetanus vaccine will only protect you against wound infections. It will not prevent rabies infection. If the dog is infected, yo...  Read Full »

A stray puppy bit me on hand. What can I do now?

Query: Hello doctor, A stray puppy bit me on my right-hand fingertip just little hard when I was feeding it (80 days back) but there was no bleed and scratch. And the puppy died after three days of biting me. Cause of that is adult dogs had bitten the puppy. I had three doses of vaccination six years ago...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The one which you mentioned six months ago, was it a full course of vaccination? Because, six years ago, you just had three doses. So if six months back was a complete vaccination course then you should receive the booster dosage of vaccination. Some amount of vacci...  Read Full »