Rabies Vaccination

Is it necessary to get rabies vaccination if a vaccinated pet dog scratches you?

Query: Hi doctor, I have scratched by my pet vaccinated dog today few hours ago. Also there was no bleeding in my hand. But there is some redness there. So guide me that it is still necessary to have ARV. Also before 5months ago i was vaccinated with arv when there is scratch of dog then .  Read Full »

Dr. Kapil Gupta

Answer: Hello. Welcome to icliniq. Although unvaccinated animals are more likely to transmit rabies, vaccinated animals can also do so if the vaccination of the biting animal was ineffective for any reason. A history of rabies vaccination in an animal is not always a guarantee that the biting animal is not...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to take rabies vaccine again, if I get hurt by a dog after 2 doses of the same?

Query: Hi doctor, I am taking rabies vaccination. Right now I have completed two doses of my injection. My question is if I get another bite during my vaccination do I have to restart my rabies course from starting or should I continue the same course?  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Pulmonologist, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you are taking rabies vaccination and you have already completed two doses of rabies vaccine. Now you want to know what will you do if you get another bite during your vaccination. And the answer is simple t...  Read Full »

A dog scratch with no blood cause rabies?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 35 year old male. While I was walking in road in possession, two dogs were behind me. When one dog tried to cross me and its front left leg touched my right foot toe. I saw nothing in my foot initially and it happened around 9 AM. At 10 AM, I washed it with soap and I saw a line ...  Read Full »

Dr. Arun R Kaushik

Microbiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From what you have written, I feel that you have a grade one scratch. Since no bleeding was there, you need not worry. Usually claws do not contain any virus, but cannot always be sure. I suggest you to get a prophylactic vaccination done for rabies. Usually, dose of...  Read Full »

A puppy's teeth touched my finger without any wound or bleeding. Kindly advise.

Query: Hello doctor, A 45-day-old street puppy's teeth touched my finger yesterday but there was no bleeding. Puppy is also fine. What should I do? Please advise me.  Read Full »

Dr. Diwanshu

Pharmacologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Just tell me whether the puppy's teeth just touched your finger or you got wound also? In case, you just got a touch, then nothing to do but in case, you got a wound then keep the wound clean. Keep a check on the dog also. Meet nearby doctor in case you have a wound. A ...  Read Full »

Will taking pre-exposure prophylaxis and rabies boosters after eight months of exposure help?

Query: Hi doctor, Eight months bank a street dog scratched my hand. I was dumb and stupid enough then. I did not take any vaccines. Now I am very worried and highly panicked. If I take pre-exposure prophylaxis and rabies boosters now, will it save my life? Rabies symptoms have still not appeared in me but...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, rabies virus starts showing its signs in your body between a time frame of 1 to 3 months to one year (depends on type and location of exposure). Now, if you were scratched and there was no bleeding we consider it as category 2 dog bite. Initial symptoms of rabies ...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to give vaccination to my baby for a cat scratch?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby is 22 months old. Yesterday, a cat scratched his toe. But my child does not have a wound or blood there. Do I have to give vaccination to my baby?  Read Full »

Dr. Amit Modi

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. A cat has scratched your child, and it has not caused any barrier disruption or wound or bleeding. But still, it is advisable to clean the area with running water and soap. Apply some antiseptic in the area. Rabies is generally transmitted by animal saliva when it comes...  Read Full »

Can rabies spread through standing bare-foot on rat's blood?

Query: Hello doctor, I stood on a rat's blood that my assistant killed about half an hour after the incident. It was hit on the head so I presume there was some saliva in the blood, I was obviously bare-footed and have no open sores on my feet but do have cracked heels. Is there any way I could have contr...  Read Full »

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand that you are worried but the chances of you contracting rabies from a pool of blood while may or may not have saliva of a bat which might or might not have been rabid are quite slim. However, if your heels are cracked enough to have caused an opening in the...  Read Full »

Can a dog scratch cause rabies?

Query: Hello doctor, My dog scratched me with its claws. So, what should I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If your pet dog is vaccinated and if the attack was provoked and if there was no bleeding then you just need to observe the dog for ten days, and chances of contracting rabies are very little or nil. However, if there was any bleeding, the attack was unprovoked and i...  Read Full »

Can the rabies virus survive outside the host animal under sunlight?

Query: Hello doctor, Can the rabies virus survive outside the host animal under sunlight?  Read Full »

Dr. Tamas Das

Microbiologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Rabies virus is not very robust under external environmental conditions. Direct sunlight and lack of humidity are very deleterious to its survival. It might survive for a couple hours or so, but there is no definitive proof. Rather what is important are the precautions ...  Read Full »

Vaccinated dog bite my daughter. Is anti-rabies vaccine needed?

Query: Dear Doctor, My daughter is 5 years old. A vaccinated dog scratched her right hand with its teeth. There is no skin damage but deep red mark is visible. Is anti-rabies vaccine optional or compulsory for her?  Read Full »

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query on icliniq.com. Let me explain the seriousness of the deep red marks simply : Visible deep red marks could mean a very small wound but it is still a large door for rabies virus to enter. If rabies has once developed, then it has no treatment. Prevention by anti-rabie...  Read Full »