Rabies Vaccination

Is second-time rabies vaccination required for a dog scratch one year after vaccination?

Query: Hi doctor,Yesterday, I accidentally disturbed a stray dog while walking. It did not bark and was not aggressive, but after I moved a few steps forward, the dog kind of tried to nibble or bite my thigh and went back as soon as I looked back.There are no scratch marks, no bleeding, no bite marks, noth...  Read Full »

Dr. Utkarsh Sharma

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and will help you regarding it. First of all, it was a level 2 dog bite as contact was there, but there was no skin penetration. In such cases, the skin should be washed with running water and soap for five minutes. As you are already i...  Read Full »

Can I get rabies when dog saliva got into an unknown tiny cut?

Query: Hi doctor, I had an interaction with a stray dog, and it seemed fine, but I had some suspicion about it potentially having rabies. It did not bite or scratch me, but I worry that some small amount of saliva got into and I have some unknown tiny cut. The dog had a microchip and was later brought hom...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have a history of tiny scratches by a stray dog. Though the dog has an owner and its owner brought it, there is no vaccination history. Even if it is fully vaccinated, the dog has a history of the homeless a...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to get rabies vaccination if a vaccinated pet dog scratches you?

Query: Hi doctor,I scratched by my vaccinated dog today a few hours ago. Also, there was no bleeding in my hand. But there is some redness there. So guide me that it is still necessary to have ARV. Also, five months ago, I was vaccinated with ARV when there is a scratch of a dog then.  Read Full »

Dr. Kapil Gupta

Answer: Hello. Welcome to icliniq.com. Although unvaccinated animals are more likely to transmit rabies, vaccinated animals can also do so if the vaccination of the biting animal was ineffective for any reason. History of rabies vaccination in an animal is not always a guarantee that the biting animal is ...  Read Full »

Can rabies vaccine be given in the gluteal region?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24-year-old male. My height is 5'8, and my weight is 150 pounds. A few weeks ago, I had an encounter with a bat early in the morning. I am not sure if I was bitten or if it was a brief encounter. I got a rabies vaccine administered on that day (day 0), as well as days 3, 7, and 14...  Read Full »

Dr. Clinton Leinweber

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear what you have been through. It sounds like you were in a category one exposure, which is low risk. However, it still requires post-exposure treatment. At present, in a person who is not immunocompromised, only four doses a...  Read Full »

Can I have rabies even after getting vaccinated after dog bite?

Query: Hi doctor, I was bitten by a dog last year. The gate of the dog was wide open and when I passed near it, the dog bit me. It bit me on my right leg. After that, I rushed to the hospital for vaccination. The nurse injected something on the wound every time when I went to the hospital. They also injec...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. You do not need to worry because you are safe and you do not have rabies. So please leave your fear. Usually, when the dog dies within two weeks we suspect that the dog can have rabies. But in your case, it has been nine months, and you got va...  Read Full »

How long does immunity from anti-rabies vaccine last?

Query: Hi doctor, Two days back, I fed a stray cat by pouring a glass of milk into the cat's bowl. I am not sure if the glass touched the cat's bowl or some droplets spilled on the glass. My daughter precisely, after an hour, picked the glass from the table and put it in her mouth. What are the possibilit...  Read Full »

Dr. Shilpa Reddy Diggireddy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The possibility of acquiring rabies by the incident you described is very unlikely. And since it has been ten days already and if there was contamination, then your daughter would have shown some symptoms by now. So I would suggest you to be calm and get her vaccinatio...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to take rabies vaccine from the initial dose if I was bitten by a dog again?

Query: Hello doctor, I took two shots of antirabies vaccine, but a street dog (puppy) bit me again one day before the third shot. What should I do? Should I continue the vaccination process or start again from the initial dose?  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you are taking the antirabies vaccination, and you have already completed two doses of the rabies vaccine. But it is a matter of sorrow that you have gotten another bite from a street dog again one day before ...  Read Full »

What is the chance of rabies infection even after getting vaccines?

Query: Hello doctor, I had exposure to a dog bite before six months while cycling. I could not see any abrasion on the leg nor blood. I could feel the teeth on my leg and immediately went to the hospital and took the rabies vaccine and tetanus as I was denied immunoglobulin. I clearly remember taking the ...  Read Full »

Dr. S D Sinha

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It appears that your first vaccine post-exposure prophylaxis was inappropriate. Neither you received full course nor antirabies Ig. You were WHO category II exposure and should have taken all five doses since it appears that was your first exposure. The next two ...  Read Full »

Do I need to take the rabies vaccine if a dog's teeth or tongue touched my finger?

Query: Hello doctor, When I was feeding a wild dog, accidentally, the dog's teeth touched my fingers, maybe the tongue also touched my fingers. I returned to my home and cleaned my hands with running water, soap, and handwash. And then, I applied Suthol and Boroline. Though there is no bleeding, should I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If there is no bleeding or injury mark, then no need for a vaccine. Suppose it was a simple lick or the teeth just touched, then no need to worry. Just follow the dog for 14 days. If he does not run away, then everything will be fine. Please send a picture of your finge...  Read Full »

When is the right time to get rabies shots?

Query: Hi doctor, The community dog that lives at my doorstep got a little angry at me. I was petting like every day after his snacks, and he snapped at me. It was just a warning snap, and there is no change in the dog’s character. Teeth might have touched my withdrawing arm but no scratch, blood, o...  Read Full »

Dr. Balamurugan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. I am answering your query. Rabies is a deadly disease, and there are no contraindications for vaccination. According to your history, exposure may fall under the category I cannot know for sure without a physical examination. The exposed area ...  Read Full »