Q. Can I complete my rabies vaccination course or restart it as I was bitten again?

Dr. Arpit Varshney

I am currently on a course of rabies vaccination (post-exposure prophylaxis, category 2). Last month, I got my third dose and got bitten by my dog again on my feet. My next dose will be next week, and I cannot go or ask the doctor at the moment. It was not a bite, but it got my skin broken. I washed the wound with soap and water quickly and used Povidone-iodine. I do not have any symptoms. My dog is just two months old and does not have an anti-rabies vaccine. I observed him for two weeks, and there was nothing unusual. I would like to ask if I have to continue with my fourth dose, or do I still need to go through another course of vaccination or booster?

#

I understand your concern.

Once you have received the rabies vaccine full dose, it is effective for the next five years. There is no need to repeat the vaccine even if you are bit by a dog again. Your previous vaccine is good enough. They will save you from rabies.

So, for now, complete your vaccination course as it is going on. No need to restart the course again.

You will not acquire rabies because your puppy is a pet, young, and never exposed to rabid dogs. Also, your injury is minimal.

So stay tension-free. You are going to be fine.

Hope this helps.

Kindly revert in case of further queries.

|