Q. Can I take the rabies vaccine three days after the dog bite?

Dr. Shubadeep Debabrata Sinha

I had a dog bite three days ago. Can I take the rabies vaccine now? I did not take the injection immediately as I was afraid of the injections. Will it be effective if I take it now? Will I survive? When is the appropriate time to take? Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern.

Yes, you should take it immediately. Did you clean your bite wound with soap and water? Are you not previously vaccinated? If not, you should get vaccinated as per the CDC (center for disease control and prevention) schedule (if you are in the abroad).Kindly get your vaccinations according to the country guidelines. The day you take the first dose will be considered day zero. Subsequently, 3/4 doses are based on the different guidelines.

Additionally, you will need antirabies immunoglobulin as per hospital guidelines. Finally, please watch the biting dog. If the dog is alive and asymptomatic, then you were probably not bitten by a rabid dog. Also, Please consult the hospital emergency room or public health department immediately and get vaccinated for your safety.

|