Q. I got vaccinated for rabies last year, and a dog scratched me yesterday. Should I get vaccinated again?

Dr. Utkarsh Sharma
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

Yesterday, I accidentally disturbed a stray dog while walking. It did not bark and was not aggressive, but after I moved a few steps forward, the dog kind of tried to nibble or bite my thigh and went back as soon as I looked back.

There are no scratch marks, no bleeding, no bite marks, nothing. I have checked it multiple times. I had a full rabies vaccine course ( i think Rabipure was the vaccine, four to five injections) last year after a dog bite. Do I need to take the rabies vaccine again? Or should I not worry about it as there are no marks whatsoever?

Kindly give your opinion.

#

I understand your concern and will help you regarding it. First of all, it was a level 2 dog bite as contact was there, but there was no skin penetration. In such cases, the skin should be washed with running water and soap for five minutes.

As you are already immunized, you do not need to worry as in healthy individuals, PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) can provide immunity from one to ten years. Only in cases of a severe dog bite should you get your rabies serum antibody levels checked and get a booster dose if the antibody levels are suboptimal.

I hope this was helpful, take care.

|