Q. I was bitten by a dog after two doses of rabies vaccine. Should I take the first vaccine again?

Dr. Zubayeralam

I took two shots of antirabies vaccine, but a street dog (puppy) bit me again one day before the third shot. What should I do? Should I continue the vaccination process or start again from the initial dose?

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you are taking the antirabies vaccination, and you have already completed two doses of the rabies vaccine. But it is a matter of sorrow that you have gotten another bite from a street dog again one day before the third shot of rabies vaccine. In this regard, the answer is simple and straight. There is no need to start the rabies vaccination from the first dose again. You should complete your current dose schedule, and there is nothing to be worried at all.

Should I take 5 dose?

#

Yes, you should take the rest three doses of the rabies vaccine and complete the five doses schedule. Antirabies vaccine is usually protective for two years. Antibody against rabies will develop from the first dose, which means you have already completed two doses that might have continued protection until now. The rest three doses will provide you full protection against rabies for at least two years. You will be not affected by rabies for two years after completing the full dose schedule, even bitten by a dog again.

|