Q. Is it necessary to start the rabies vaccination from the first dose if we get a dog bite in the middle of the vaccination regimen?

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I got bit by my dog, but I am already going through a rabies vaccination course (I completed three, only one left). Should I start from the beginning? Kindly give your opinion.

#

Sorry for the discomfort. Since you are going through a rabies vaccination course and got again bit by your dog only, then no need to repeat the course from the beginning. Just wash the wound with soap and running water thoroughly. Complete the present vaccination schedule on time.

I hope this was helpful.

If you do not mind, can you give an explanation why I should not bother about getting the vaccine from the beginning?

#

Since you have already taken three doses of the present vaccination schedule, it means your body would have started to produce antibodies to give you protection against the rabies virus, and this full protection comes after the completion of the mandatory vaccination schedule.

After completion of five intramuscular doses, if reexposure occurs after three months, then two booster dose is required.

No vaccination is needed within three months in a person having documented previous completion of postexposure prophylaxis. Only wound washing is required in such cases. This is the guideline.

I hope this clears your doubts. Please get back for further help.

But here you are talking about five doses, but I am only taking four doses. That is what my doctor recommended. Are the four doses course treated the same as five doses? Or should I take the vaccine again from the beginning just because it is a different course and treated differently? Kindly give your opinion.

#

Intramuscular regimen for post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) (Essen regimen) is IM (intramuscular) on 0,3,7,14 and 28 days (total five doses). Day 0 indicates the date of administration of the first dose of the vaccine. I hope you are following this. There is another route of administration that is the intradermal route (ID).

You are taking which route of vaccine administration, sir, IM or ID?

Please answer the question for further help.

I do not know the name of the treatment. Kindly give your opinion.

#

Do not worry, sir. Please ask your doctor above query who guided or advised you to take the vaccine on the 'particular or scheduled' days on which you are taking the vaccine dose and already completed three doses. Do not get confused.

If you are taking an intramuscular route of vaccine administration, then one dose each is given on days 0, 3, 7, 14, and 28.

I hope this was helpful.

I am taking intradermal routes 0, 3, 7, and 28. Can you just tell me I should need to retake the vaccine from the beginning or just continue and complete the vaccination? Kindly give your opinion.

#

You should continue the present course of vaccine and complete the full vaccination schedule as recommended by your doctor, no need to repeat the course from the beginning.

I hope this was helpful.

I have completed three doses of the rabies vaccine, with only one dose left on the twenty-eight day. Can I take the COVID vaccine now without any worry? Kindly give your opinion.

#

Complete the last dose of the rabies vaccine at a scheduled time. There should be a minimum of two weeks gap after completion of the last dose of the rabies vaccine. Before getting the COVID vaccine, do ask or confirm the same query with another doctor or the doctor who recommended or scheduled the rabies vaccine for you.

I hope this was helpful.

|