Q. Will rabies virus survive outside host if exposed to sunlight?

Dr. Arun R Kaushik

Can rabies virus survive outside host on grass or leaves if it is exposed to sunlight?

Do you have a question on Rabies or Fear Of Rabies?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Arun R Kaushik

MBBS., MD., FICM
Critical Care Physician Geriatrics Microbiology

Usually, UV rays of the sun are known to kill the virus. So usually they do not survive outside the body when exposed to the sunlight.

If a rabid animal drools on grass or leaves under sunlight, does it still remain infectious?

Dr. Arun R Kaushik

MBBS., MD., FICM

If you touch the saliva drooled out on a grass it does not cause any infection, if there is intact skin. That is if your hand has no cuts or abrasions then the virus entry into the skin is usually not possible. Suggest that you wash your hands well with soap and water. If the saliva is there for a long time on the grass in presence of sunlight, then there is a very low chance of the virus to be stable.

Also Read Answers From: Rabies Fear Of Rabies

Is rabies a contagious disease?
Query: Hello doctor, I was bitten by a dog 13 days ago. I took anti-rabies vaccine after 25 hours of the bite. I have taken three vaccines until now. I had oral sex with my wife and by mistake, I bit her at neck two days ago. Should she also receive the anti-rabies vaccine? The dog is still alive.  Read Full »
Dr. Kakkar S
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Contact with someone who is receiving rabies vaccination does not constitute rabies exposure and does not require post-exposure prophylaxis. For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist  Read Full »

Can rabies spread through food licked by a cat?
Query: Hi doctor, I am having some doubts about rabies. Will rabies spread through food, which is licked by a cat? Will rabies virus die on heating?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am giving you my opinion regarding your doubts. Rabies can spread through the saliva of an infected animal, especially dog. But from saliva, the virus can spread if the skin is not intact or it can spread through mucosa contact. So, direct saliva contact to mucosa ha...  Read Full »

Trending

Trending

Ask a Doctor Now