Q. I am worried about the effects of radiation from a CT scan. Please help.

Dr. Sugandh Garg
Published on Jul 11, 2014 and last reviewed on: Sep 19, 2018

I am a 26 year old female. I am worried after reading about the effects of radiation from a CT scan. I had two separate scans within a month. Both the scans were for the chest, abdomen, and pelvis. The doctors were looking for a potential lymphoma, but nothing conclusive was found. I am worried about the future cancer risk. Please help.

Dr. Sugandh Garg

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Toxicology
#

This kind of exposure to CT scan is not harmful, though you must avoid as much as possible. A continuous, long-term exposure daily may cause harmful radiation hazards and ill health.

So, do not worry about the exposure. This very minimal exposure does not pose any future cancer risk.

Consult a radiologist online to know about the risk levels of radiation exposure --> https://www.icliniq.com/search/online-doctors-directory/radiologist

Can a CT scan miss appendicitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I was in an emergency last night because of 48 hours of pain that moved to my right lower abdomen. Also, I am not eating, and I have severe diarrhea if I do. They said my white blood cells were a bit elevated. The CT scan without contrast did not show an inflamed appendix. Now it is the...  Read Full »

I slept with my phone under my testicles. When can I safely try for a baby again?

Query: Hello doctor,Yesterday, unfortunately, I slept with my mobile phone under my testicles. I slept like that for five hours. I have heard of mobile radiations causing harm to the sperm and testicular cells by affecting the DNA. My problem is that my wife and I are both 34 years old and are planning for...  Read Full »

Ask a Radiologist Now