Q. ALT and AST are out of range. What does it mean?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

I had a blood work on my liver. The results came back saying that my ALT and AST are very high and out of range. So, I would like to know what that exactly means. When I received my laboratory test report they said that I should seek medical advice. My AST is 75 and ALT is 35. My MCV 116 and MCH 39.2. Also, I am a heavy drinker. Please explain the report.

Do you have a question on Raised Liver Enzymes or Folic Acid?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

MBBS., PGDGM., MD PATHOLOGY
Geriatrics Hematology Pathology

Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

Alcohol induced liver damage has caused increased enzyme levels. Possibly early stages, as no jaundice is seen. MCV high (mean corpuscular volume) is due to associated vitamin B12 and folic acid deficiency. Malnutrition due to alcohol abuse has caused this. Need to abstain from alcohol on an immediate basis as liver would take another six months to possibly recover. Repeat the test after three months. Also start Vitamin B12 and Folic acid supplements. Nothing major for now. If it progresses then may require liver transplant in next few years.

For further information consult a hematologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

After drinking beer, my brain works fast. How?

Query: Hi doctor, My brain is not working properly. I have very poor concentration power. I am taking a long time to learn any kind of things in comparison to others. When I drink beer, my brain will work very fast for two to three days and I can do much work easily. Please suggest the medicine to improve ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is normal to practice a thing many times to learn it properly. After taking alcohol, there is euphoria phase, in which you may have a¬†perception of betterment. But, it is just a perception and not a real memory. Instead, regular alcohol intake can harm your brain dire...  Read Full

How much Folic acid is required during pregnancy in Crohn's patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I have Crohn's disease and am pregnant. The first day of my last period was before 40 days and I have been taking multivitamins which includes 400 micrograms of Folic acid for the past four months. I am now pregnant. The doctor said that I need 5 mg of Folic acid due to the Crohns whi...  Read Full >>

Dr. Donalyn S. Barcial

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your concern. You need not worry or be anxious about it. Although absorption of Folate may be disturbed because of your Crohns, taking 400 mcg for four months will be good enough. Meaning, you are not deficient from it from the very start but since you are ...  Read Full

Can chest pain result from vitamin B12 deficiency?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old male. I have been diagnosed with a vitamin B12 deficiency and I am taking medicines from last month. I have a slight pain in the left side of my chest and also below my chest. My ECG is normal.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Chest pain can be nonspecific but, you should get evaluated if the aches and pains are all over the body or sometimes in one specific group of muscle. For more information contact a cardiologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now