Q. How long will it take to normalize the raised liver enzymes?

Dr. Prakash H. Muddegowda
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 07, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 07, 2019

My ALT 384, AST 144, glutamyl 151, alkaline 131, albumin 45, lipase 24, amylase 68, CRP 7.7 and bilirubin normal. I have stopped drinking alcohol. How long will it take to normalize other enzyme levels? What are the risks I have from the above report?

#

Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

• Enzyme levels are abnormal secondary to hepatic injury.
  • Liver is an excellent organ and recovers very fast. As the bilirubin is normal, I would not expect any major injury.
  • Not only alcohol, you need to be careful about various toxins, medications, etc., which can affect liver, especially in the next six months.
  • Normalization should occur and it would take around one year. Even though the enzymes are expect to return to normal if there is no further toxins exposure within next four to six months, complete recovery will take up to one year.
  • If there is no further exposure and if you can watch your diet and medications, then no risk is involved.
  • If damage continues, probably the reversible change of fatty liver can change into irreversible cirrhosis and next you will be looking at liver failure and liver transplant, etc.
  • Good to know, you have stopped drinking. Do continue the same.

For further information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|