Q. How long will it take to normalize the raised liver enzymes?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
Published on Mar 07, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 07, 2019

My ALT 384, AST 144, glutamyl 151, alkaline 131, albumin 45, lipase 24, amylase 68, CRP 7.7 and bilirubin normal. I have stopped drinking alcohol. How long will it take to normalize other enzyme levels? What are the risks I have from the above report?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Hematology Pathology
#

Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

• Enzyme levels are abnormal secondary to hepatic injury.
  • Liver is an excellent organ and recovers very fast. As the bilirubin is normal, I would not expect any major injury.
  • Not only alcohol, you need to be careful about various toxins, medications, etc., which can affect liver, especially in the next six months.
  • Normalization should occur and it would take around one year. Even though the enzymes are expect to return to normal if there is no further toxins exposure within next four to six months, complete recovery will take up to one year.
  • If there is no further exposure and if you can watch your diet and medications, then no risk is involved.
  • If damage continues, probably the reversible change of fatty liver can change into irreversible cirrhosis and next you will be looking at liver failure and liver transplant, etc.
  • Good to know, you have stopped drinking. Do continue the same.

For further information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

How can I recover from fatty liver?

Query: Hi doctor, I had diarrhea for about 20 days. After I got recovered, my doctor advised me to do an MRI of the abdomen. These were the results shown. There was a mild signal drop noted in the liver on the T2 fat sequence suggesting a fatty infiltration. My pancreatic head and uncinate appeared norma...  Read Full »

How to improve the kidney function of a liver cirrhosis patient?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is suffering from liver cirrhosis as reported by the doctors. His kidneys are also damaged and due to constipation brain is also getting affected. Urine is not passing. He is unconscious. We tried dialysis twice but there are no signs of improvement as per the doctors here. I j...  Read Full »

I had fatty liver.Do I have chances of developing cirrhosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I had fatty liver (due to being overweight: BMI - 28.1) 3 years ago. I do not consume alcohol. At that time the enzymes were 3-4 times elevated and had signs of fat in liver. Then I lost weight and my liver enzyme levels improved. In this last one year all my liver enzymes are normal. ...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now