Q. I had a blood test in which ALT and AFP are in the upper range. Does it indicate any disease?

Dr. Zubayeralam

I have had a standard blood test, and I am worried about the results.

Most things seem in the upper range apart from the ALT at 118 and AFP 13.

I am 32 years old, fit, with no symptoms, and not a massive drinker.

Can I have your suggestion?

#

Thanks for the query.

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have recently done some blood tests, and your reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity) have shown that ALT is 118 IU/L (<41) which is above normal, and AFP is 11 IU/mL (<6) which is also above normal. High levels of ALT indicate liver diseases. When it increases four folds than normal, then ALT levels will indicate liver disease. AFP or alpha-fetoprotein is a screening test for liver, testicular, ovarian, renal diseases, or tumors. An abnormally raised level of alpha-fetoprotein may indicate such a type of disease. In this case, one blood test that showing raised ALT and AFP indicates nothing serious at all. As your triglyceride and uric acid level are above normal, you may develop metabolic syndrome like fatty liver. Lifestyle modification, avoiding alcohol consumption, daily exercise, and avoiding fatty and oily foods will reduce both ALT and AFT.

Do repeat the blood tests after one month.

Take care.

In case of any other query, ask me, and I will try to reply to you further.

Thanks doctor.

So I guess even a slight elevation does not indicate a disease. And should I not worry?

#

Thanks for joining again.

Though those blood markers are slightly elevated, those are not raised enough to indicate any underlying health pathology or disease. So it would be best if you were not worried at all. I have already mentioned the possible cause of the raising of these blood markers. Lead a decent regular life. Avoid oily and fatty foods. Do exercises daily. Take a balanced diet regularly. Take a lot of green leafy vegetables and drink plenty of fluids. Avoid alcohol consumption, cigarette smoking, or other recreational drugs. Do repeat blood tests after one month. If you follow the above-mentioned rules and regulations, then hopefully, you will notice that your raised blood parameters will go back to the normal level. Avoid any type of stress or anxiety and take proper as well as sound sleep daily.

Take care.

I hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

|