Q. My routine blood work shows raised SGPT and ALT levels. Is this alarming?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

I am 19 years old and just got my recent routine blood test results. One specific factor which is my SGPT/ALT levels are high, specifically 110.60 U/L. My question is, should I be already alarmed? What are some factors I need to consider, and how can I lower it down?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Well, it is of paramount importance to know what has led to this elevation of liver enzymes. This is of course abnormal report i.e. three times greater than the normal ALT (alanine transaminase) value.

You do not seem to be overweight so the other possibilities are active viral infections such as hepatitis B and C, active alcohol intake, certain autoimmune conditions like autoimmune hepatitis, and some others. It would be reasonable to start testing those before any alarming elevation of these enzymes occur or lead to significant damage to the liver. If you use alcohol, I suggest you to stop it.

You can get the following blood tests and let me know the results once available. Also, provide me relevant history like any family members with liver disease, alcohol intake, diarrhea, fever, or jaundice in the recent past? Use of Paracetamol or any other over the counter medications? Any herbal medicine in use, pets at home? Let me know the answers to the above as well.

Resolving viral hepatitis. Chronic active viral hepatitis. Lean Nash. Alcohol related liver disease. Liver infections.

HbSAg. Anti HCV antibody. HAV IgM. HEV IgM. Share the complete liver function test results.

|