Q. What is the reason for my bikini line to be itchy, rough and painful?

I have been waxing for ten years, and I have no skin reactions. But the last couple of months, I could not wax, so I shaved. And my bikini line has changed drastically. It has become itchy, rough, and painful. I have no discharge. I was given antifungal cream Fucidin, and nothing seems to improve. Please help.

#

It could be a razor rash that got infected and formed cellulitis due to the hair follicles getting infected, causing pain and inflammation. Would you please send a picture of the lesion for a better opinion and suggestion on treatment?

I have been applying Fusidic acid and Betamethasone Valerate cream. When it did not work, I applied Fucidin cream, and I even used Candid B cream. But nothing helped. It is just getting red and darker. I have attached the pictures. Kindly help me.

#

I have seen the photographs (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). These are typical cellulitis lesions following follicular infection in the bikini area, following razor application. Firstly, I would suggest stop all anti-fungal and steroid-based creams for local application as it would only make the condition worse.

I would also suggest the following antibiotics for seven days and antibiotic cream local application.

1. Tablet Augmentin (Amoxicillin and Potassium clavulanate) 625 mg twice a day in the morning and at night for seven days.

2. Tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg twice a day in the morning and at night for seven days (half an hour before food).

3. Apply ointment Mupirocin (local application) thrice a day over the inflamed, red areas. Avoid intravaginal application.

4. Tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg twice a day in the morning and at night for five days.

5. Tablet Vitamin C 500 mg twice a day in the morning and night for ten days.

6. Tablet Etoricoxib 60 mg twice a day in the morning and at night for five days (for pain relief).

Keep the local area dry. Wear loose clothes to avoid friction over the local area. Do not apply soap over the area or any antiseptic liquid to clean. Just use sterilized lukewarm water for cleaning each time. You may follow up after three days with a review.

|