Q. My tooth hurts. Should I undergo an RCT?

Answered by
Dr. Tinu Thampy
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 14, 2017

Hello doctor,

I have tooth pain, and the dentist has suggested a root canal treatment be done on one of the lower teeth based on the x-ray attached. Do any of the lower teeth require a root canal treatment in your opinion?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • When there is a tooth pain, it means that the infection has reached the pulp of the tooth.
  • The pulp of the tooth is the innermost part of the tooth where the blood vessels and the nerves are present. In the crown portion of the tooth, it is called pulp chamber, and in the root portion, it is called as a root canal. Once the infection has reached the pulp, it will involve both the pulp chamber as well as the root canal, and it spreads to the tissues below the tooth. The treatment is, to remove the infected tissues and clean the root canal and pulp chamber. This is known as a root canal treatment.
  • I have seen your x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From this x-ray, the right side first molar appears to be the tooth of concern and needs a root canal procedure. The radiograph (x-ray) is additional to a clinical examination. Radiograph alone is not conclusive for a diagnosis. Changes in angulation of x-ray machine or position of the patient can cause overlapping of images of adjacent structures, giving a false diagnosis.

For more information consult a maxillofacial prosthodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/maxillofacial-prosthodontist

Hello doctor,

Thanks for replying. My dentist is suggesting a root canal procedure for the third tooth from the left in the lower jaw. Do you see anything in that tooth?



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • This x-ray is called an orthopantomogram (OPG). It is a panoramic radiograph which has so many adjacent structures overlapping on each other in the image. This radiograph is used for getting a gross idea regarding bone structure, the position of the tooth, presence of any pathology, etc.
  • For inspection of individual tooth, an intraoral periapical (IOPA) radiograph would be helpful. If you have persistent tooth pain, you may need a root canal procedure in that tooth. Without knowing the tooth number in which you have the pain, I am unable to differentiate the decay lines from artifacts or overlapping shadows.
  • So, please attach the IOPA of the particular tooth that your dentist suggests treatment for, so that I can give you the treatment plan.

Revert with more information to a maxillofacial prosthodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/maxillofacial-prosthodontist

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Kindly advise a home remedy for tooth decay during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I have acid erosion or decay in the back of my bottom front teeth. They are chipping at the gumline. I have a past history of bulimia and although after years I have finally recovered. Long ago, I have had decay in the back row. What is a good home remedy for now that I can use? I am ...  Read Full »

Following RCT and crown, my gums are swollen. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a root canal performed before four months and a gold crown was fitted before two months. The tooth number is 14. The tooth had a crack in it a few years ago and finally became irreversibly inflamed and required a root canal. My tooth is still sensitive to pressure while chewing a...  Read Full »

Do I need a root canal if there is no pain?

Query: Hello doctor,Approximately one year back, my left chewing tooth got a small hole due to something which I bit. So, that became a tooth decay, over there it looks black. I recently consulted a dentist. So, he suggested a root canal but I do not have any pain nor loose of teeth and also I am afraid of...  Read Full »

Also Read

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Maxillofacial Prosthodontist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.