Q. How do I mitigate gum swelling, redness, and recession in me?

Dr. Krishna Swaroop Achanta

About two days ago, the gums near my front teeth became inflamed. I rinsed the area with hydrogen peroxide and flossed daily. There is a slight improvement with the swelling; the gums have noticeably receded already, which is distressing. I am currently using Invisalign and had a cleaning about two weeks ago. I have an appointment with my dentist in two days, but the situation could worsen in the meantime, and I am seeking ways to mitigate the damage. A similar thing happened about ten years ago when the tooth bordering this area experienced gum recession and is yet to be repaired. Kindly advise.

#

Firstly use lukewarm salt water and rinse, around 5 to 6 times a day. Do this even after your dental visit for one week. Secondly, if the gum irritation, pain, or recession is chronic, which is if it has existed for such a long time, or you have had a previous history of this issue, I would recommend you to massage the receded gum areas with Lidocaine and Choline salicylate gel (commonly used for mouth ulcers like Dologel-CT or Dentogel). Do this at nighttime every day for two weeks. You can switch over to Betadine 2% (Povidone-Iodine) gargle that is much safer and does not cause any irritation compared to Hydrogen Peroxide. Regular rinsing with Betadine gargle will alleviate your gum inflammation and recession. When you go to the dentist, do deep dental cleaning of your gums. Ideally, it would help if you got it every six months in your follow-up. You can continue mouthwash, salt water rinsing, and gel application regularly whenever you feel your gums are inflamed or receding acutely. Antibiotic prophylaxis is not necessary considering your symptoms of just recession or reddening. Still, in the clinic, assessment hould give you an idea whether you will require it or not.

|