Q. How do I mitigate gum swelling, redness, and recession in me?

Answered by
Dr. Krishna Swaroop Achanta
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 03, 2022

Hello doctor,

About two days ago, the gums near my front teeth became inflamed. I rinsed the area with hydrogen peroxide and flossed daily. There is a slight improvement with the swelling; the gums have noticeably receded already, which is distressing. I am currently using Invisalign and had a cleaning about two weeks ago. I have an appointment with my dentist in two days, but the situation could worsen in the meantime, and I am seeking ways to mitigate the damage. A similar thing happened about ten years ago when the tooth bordering this area experienced gum recession and is yet to be repaired. Kindly advise.



Welcome to

Firstly use lukewarm salt water and rinse, around 5 to 6 times a day. Do this even after your dental visit for one week. Secondly, if the gum irritation, pain, or recession is chronic, which is if it has existed for such a long time, or you have had a previous history of this issue, I would recommend you to massage the receded gum areas with Lidocaine and Choline salicylate gel (commonly used for mouth ulcers like Dologel-CT or Dentogel). Do this at nighttime every day for two weeks. You can switch over to Betadine 2% (Povidone-Iodine) gargle that is much safer and does not cause any irritation compared to Hydrogen Peroxide. Regular rinsing with Betadine gargle will alleviate your gum inflammation and recession. When you go to the dentist, do deep dental cleaning of your gums. Ideally, it would help if you got it every six months in your follow-up. You can continue mouthwash, salt water rinsing, and gel application regularly whenever you feel your gums are inflamed or receding acutely. Antibiotic prophylaxis is not necessary considering your symptoms of just recession or reddening. Still, in the clinic, assessment hould give you an idea whether you will require it or not.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I fear that my teeth are going to fall out due to receding gums. Please help.

.. your complaint, it looks like you have deep gum infection and it is causing loss of attachment of teeth to gums making them loose. As you are a smoker, it causes the gum health to deter even faster. When there is a recession, only home remedies wi...   Read full

Why am I having bleeding gums constantly for two years?

.. for your bleeding gums can be local like calculus, for that you need to get a dental scaling done (oral prophylaxis). Brush your teeth twice daily using an ultrasoft toothbrush. You also need to get your blood pressure checked twice daily for thre...   Read full

I have bleeding gums, bad breath and black discoloration on the root of the teeth. Please help.

Hello doctor, I have bleeding gums, bad breath, and black discoloration on the root of the teeth ... Gum bleeding and bad breath is a sign of gum condition called gingivitis ......   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»
Importance of Sex Hormones - Types, Functions, Normal Ranges, and Roles
Sex hormones are steroids produced in the body that control sexual development, pregnancy, and overall health. Read belo...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dentist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.