Q. What can be the reason for recurrent mouth sores that do not subside with antibiotics?

Dr. J. N. Naidu

I am experiencing recurrent mouth sores, and it hurts. I am not able to eat because of this. I have had this condition for about three years. I had taken Penicillin, Oxacillin, Erythromycin, Clindamycin, Ciprofloxacin, Bactrim, Gentamicin, and Ampicillin for this. Currently, I am not taking any medication. I have done HPV and HIV tests, and it is negative. The wound swab shows scant pus cells, epithelial cells, GNB, GPC, and RBC debris. I had taken CBC also. Kindly help.

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern.

Possible causes for your problem are excessive use of antibiotics, poor nutritional status- like deficiencies of vitamins, chronic illness, etc.

A detailed discussion by video consultation or chat consultation will help evaluate the problem correctly and suggest appropriate treatment.

Thanks for the reply. Chat consultation should be fine.

#

For a better assessment of your condition, kindly answer the following questions; a) How long have you used antibiotics in the last year? b) Do you suffer from any chronic disease? c) Are you underweight?

Kindly attach a picture of your mouth ulcer and complete blood count (CBC) result.

Thanks for the reply.

This year I took antibiotics for five days. I am not so sure about it. I do not suffer from any chronic illness. I guess I am underweight, maybe a little.

#

I had gone through the reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity).

I suggest taking the following;

1. Tablet Albendazole 400mg one tablet after dinner.

2. Vitamin B complex and Vitamin C capsules; one capsule daily after dinner for ten days.

3. Vitamin D 60K one sachet. Put the powder in half glass of milk and drink (only one sachet and not to be repeated).

4. Eat one boiled egg daily.

5. Eat more boiled vegetables and fruits. Eat homemade foods.

6. Increase physical activity- brisk walking, playing games, etc.

7. Gargle mouth regularly with warm salt water at night.

8. Drink at least two liters of water daily.

Review after one week. Please feel free to contact me for further assistance.

|