Q. There is a red spot on the white area of my husband's eye. What do we do?

Dr. Anand
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 06, 2015 and last reviewed on: May 10, 2019

My husband's eye got hurt with my finger accidentally. Now his eye hurts and can barely open. There is a red spot on the white area of his eye. What do we do? Please help.

#

Your finger might have hit the eyeball blood vessels. These vessels can bleed due to trauma and can cause a subconjunctival hemorrhage (bleeding behind the conjunctiva thereby causing a red eye). This does not cause any major problems and resolves on its own in a week.

Other possibilities for not opening the eye can be an injury to the cornea, which can have an epithelial defect. This causes a lot of pain and watering, and he may not be able to open his eyes due to pain. For this, he has to use antibiotic eye drops, and artificial tear drops to prevent infection and pain. There can be a possibility of orbital edema which can also cause difficulty in opening eyes. This will resolve in a week; just give cold compress.

Please attach pictures of the affected eye for a detailed evaluation and diagnosis.

|