Q. There are red spots on the penis with no itching. Kindly advice.

Dr. Rabia
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Apr 15, 2019

Male received protected oral and gave protected anal sex to a sex worker. She sat on his chest. It was a licensed establishment which claimed she had been tested regularly. Three days later ended up in the hospital with diarrhea (yellow with mucus) and intense fatigue like never before. They performed many tests and found nothing. Symptoms cleared. Ten days later did STI and STD tests which found nothing. After three weeks he started getting intermittent red spots on the penis. Now balls are very red with no itching.

Dr. Rabia

Dermatology
#

According to your description, it can be a bacterial infection (other than STD as tests are negative). An infection acquired through gastrointestinal tract can present like this. The antibiotic course was done for diarrhea or not?

Yes, the skin of the scrotum is very red and inflamed (attachment removed to protect patient identity). And indeed requires the antibiotic course for it. Kindly follow this prescription.

1. Tablet Co-Amoxiclav 1 gm BD for one week.

2. Tablet Metronidazole 400 mg TDS for one week.

3. Apply Fusidic Acid ointment BD over the area.

4. Apply Vaseline (Petroleum Jelly) three times.

5. Maintain hygiene of the area.

6. Wash with mild soap and water.

7. Avoid irritants over the area.

STD and STI tests were done ten days after the sexual encounter. Could this be HIV or hepatitis based on symptom and description of activities? I did a fecal microbiome analysis which noted streptococcus. Three weeks of strong antibiotics were taken and now on probiotics.

The rash still comes and goes. I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy last week. Colonoscopy is normal, In endoscopy, noted non-specific inflammation, at biopsy in the duodenum and mild gastritis. Mild hernia. All else normal. The specialist thinks just eczema. I am stressing out. Please help.

Dr. Rabia

Dermatology
#

After streptococcus infection of the gastrointestinal tract, streptococcus skin infection can occur as in your case scenario. Clinically it is very red and inflamed if it is eczema even then it is infected. Regarding HIV, it can present with diarrhea, rash, inflamed glands but in HIV rash is more widespread like on the trunk or whole body instead of localizing on the genital area.

Hepatitis is not a possibility. If you still have doubt, you can go for an HIV test, but this is less likely. It is more like streptococcus perineal erythema.

I had protected sex with two female partners. Am I infected with HIV?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old male, and I had sex with two female partners, three months back. I had vaginal and oral sex. The intercourse lasted for about five minutes, twice with each partner. I had a condom on throughout the time. Starting a week or so later, I had a pimple-like bump at the edge ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The answers to your queries are as follows: If you had sex with a latex condom, used properly, separate for each act, separate for both the partners¬†and it did not break or slip, then it was a protected act. It not only prevents HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) but ...  Read Full

What are the ways to confirm HIV?

Query: Hi doctor, I had unprotected anal and oral sex with a guy. This makes me very stressful. The symptoms I encounter after the incident are as follows. I am feeling very tired from day 10, and I think it as stress. From day 12, I am having some sort of difficulty in breathing and numbness all over the ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for providing the clinical pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would try to provide you with the best possible answers to your questions. The symptoms you have mentioned for example fever, general feeling of not being well, vague body ac...  Read Full

What is the reason for red meatus and burning sensation during urination?

Query: Hi doctor, My meatus is red and has a small spot on one side. There is a constant burning sensation when I urinate. I am frequently urinating in small amounts. Recently, I had a DRE, and they told me that my prostate is enlarged. I have a foul smell from my penis. I never had this problem before. I...  Read Full >>

Dr. Karthik Rajan
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like a urinary tract infection which has resulted in some inflammation around the meatus. I would like to know whether you had tenderness in your prostate during an...  Read Full