Q. I have redness in my eyes. How to stop it from getting redder?

Dr. Asha Barboza
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am a 16-year-old boy. I have a problem with my eyes, and I had this problem for a very long time. I do not remember when it started. It is gradually becoming worse and worse. They have been red as far as I can recall. They are red throughout the day, even though I drink enough and usually sleep like seven hours. Sometimes I do not sleep enough, or I sleep too much. Randomly they become red. I have gone to multiple oculists, but they all just prescribed some basic eye-drops, which did nothing. This eye problem is also getting worse and worse through time. I want to make my eyes white or at least stop it from growing redder.

#

I understand your concern. Red eyes could be due to many factors. Do you have any other systemic symptoms like neck pain, other joint problems, dry mouth, and skin rashes? Do your eyes burn, itch, water, or become crusty in the morning? Some people have more sensitive eyes than others and tend to redden even when water is thrown into the eyes. I would suggest you wear sunglasses when going outdoors or during outdoor activities, swimming goggles if you swim.

• Take Omega 3 rich food or supplements as it is good for dry eyes.
  • You can try Restasis (Cyclosporine) eye drops thrice daily for a month plus lubricating eye drops like Systane (Polyethylene glycol) three to four times a day indefinitely. Refrigerate the Systane eye drops on the door part of the fridge.
  • Try to reduce screen time and remember to blink as blinking is required for proper lubrication.
  • When eye whitening is required in emergencies, you can try an eye drop formulation containing Ocurest (Phenylephrine, Naphazoline hydrochloride, Chlorpheniramine Maleate, and Menthol. Use it thrice a day. But do not use it regularly. Try these out and let me know how you feel.

| 

What could be the reason for itching, burning sensation and rashes in groin area?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 36-year-old male. I am having an issue in my groin area. My symptoms are itching, rashes, and burning sensation on inner thighs. I used Itch guard. Please suggest.  Read Full »

What are the causes for redness in eyes?

Query: Hi doctor, My eyes are red and sore for the past four days. It was really painful till yesterday. As I did not work in the computer and started to use eye refresher I am not getting bad headaches and eye pain anymore. When I change the focus, it is sore and is still really red. I have no idea about ...  Read Full »

Does Itching Disturb Your Regular Activities?

Article Overview: This article discusses in detail the diagnosis and management of severe itching. Read Article

Nowadays itching is a major problem or symptom of most of the allergic, systemic or fungal diseases. 4 out of 10 people have had some type of itching problem of the skin in their routine life. Severe itch also disturbs regular activities of daily living of mankind. What is Itching? Itching is de...  Read Article

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»