Q. My 8-month-old son has redness in the sclera for more than a week. How to treat it?

Dr. Asha Juliet Barboza

My 8-month-old son has redness on the corner of his eye on the sclera (white part of the eye). It looks cloudy in that area as well. I went to the eye clinic one week ago and was asked to apply to Chlortralim for one week. It has still not cured. Please let me know if this looks serious.

#

I understand your concern since it has been a week since his treatment was started. From the photo you sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity) there appears to be an inflammation which might either be Episcleritis or phlyctenular conjunctivitis. This can occur if the child had an infection in the body, as an allergic response, or for no obvious reason (idiopathic). Either way, he should respond to FML T eye drops four times a day for one week.

If it does not respond in four days, I suggest you see another ophthalmologist and get a second opinion as a magnified examination is required.

Unfortunately, a prescription cannot be given on a query. I think you should not have a problem acquiring these eye drops.

|