Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. What are the ways to manage swollen eyelids and red eyes?

Answered by
Dr. Pooja Pandya
and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 15, 2020

Hi doctor,

I have had swollen eyelids and red eyes for around 2 months. I have used two courses of Chloramphenicol drops, then an ointment and have been using Sodium Cromoglicate. They still have not improved. Do I need to see an eye doctor?

Dr. Pooja Pandya

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)


Welcome to

I should see your eye first after then I can guide you or I can prescribe you medicine for your condition. So kindly attach your eye photo here I will see it and let you know about your condition.

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

They have looked much worse and more red than this. They are not as bad this morning. I have a very gritty sensation, I have washed my eyes out with an eye bath and it does not help.

Dr. Pooja Pandya

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)


Welcome back to

Yes, there is redness in your both eyes (attachment removed to protect patient identity). We should change your treatment because it is not improving. You should use Moxifloxacine eye drops 6 times a day for 1 week and Azithromycin eye ointment at night time only for a week. Along with this you should do cool compression with ice or ice pack whichever is available for you. That you should use 3 times minimum in a day. So your congestion will be relived and you will be completely fine. Do not worry. Just give me follow up after 5 days regarding your symptoms.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
What could be the reason for blurred vision following a hit on the eye?
What is the treatment for lower eyelid swelling?
Can excessive computer exposure cause dry eyes?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Please suggest a possible diagnosis for lower and upper back pain.

Query: Hello doctor, For the last two years, I have back pain in the upper and lower region. I am uploading here with my reports for your reference. Please suggest diagnosis and medicines to cure this disease.  Read Full »

I got conjunctivitis 7 days back.I had red eye with eyelid swelling.Now redness is gone but blurring is present.What do I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I got conjunctivitis 7 days back. I had red eye with eyelid swelling.  I used Moxifloxacin hydrochloride from the very first day, every 2 hours. Then I started Fluorometholone 4 times a day and Cyclosporine 3 times a day. And now from 2 days I got blurred eye. Redness is gone...  Read Full »

What happens to the dust that enters the eye? Will it affect the eyesight in the future?

Query: Hi, What happens to the dust that enters the eye? Does it go into the eyeballs? Will it affect the eyesight in the future?  Read Full »

Also Read

Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?
Having celiac fromnlast 10 year dignosis recently ayear ago since then i am gluten free still cant absorb food feeling w...  Read more»
My head is shivering from 20 days, and it feels like head trauma. What is the cause?
Hello sir, My head is shivering like anything , feeling like trauma is head. And its start anytime in a day and when s...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Eye Care Ophthalmologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.