Q. My 5-month-old baby has dry red patches over his face, nape and back. Please help.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

My 5-month-old son has dry red patches all over his face that also spreads to his nape and back. He also violently scratches his face and ears. We wash him with baby Dove but have now switched to Cetaphil. We are also applying Atopiclair when his rashes are flaring up but he still has these dry patches. We are only using Tiny buds detergent to wash his clothes. Please help.

#

More than dryness, these rashes seem to be some sort of allergic rash. The redness is because of the scratching. The other details you have mentioned regarding detergent is fine.

Continue using Cetaphil soap, but do not rub the skin too much, it will cause more redness. You can apply Calamine lotion from Himalaya to the face in sparing quantities. Just dab the lotion on the face using cotton during application. Also, I would advise you to keep this lotion in the fridge when not in use so that the baby feels the cooling from the lotion, which will have a soothing effect on the skin.

I would also advise a temporary course of syrup Allegra (Fexofenadine) 1.5 ml twice daily for three to five days (from the allergy point of view). Allergies in this age group and this particular location (on the face) are more to do with the type of milk being consumed and how it is being consumed. Sometimes children drip the milk on the face while drinking and this if left unnoticed for long periods can cause such kind of rashes. Some children tolerate one particular formula better than another.

|