Q. How to control my increased cholesterol levels?

Dr. Subharanjini Ramesh

My total cholesterol - 239, HDL cholesterol serum- 54, LDL cholesterol serum- 159. I want to control it and make it normal, for which I need a definite diet plan and guidelines.

#

As you already said, you have borderline cholesterols which can be controlled easily through diet and exercise. You are 10 kg overweight which needs to be reduced. If your weight becomes normal, your blood reports will automatically become normal.

You need to eat normal, healthy nutritious foods, no special diet for reducing weight as well as lipids.

Morning: coffee or tea (totally two to three cups in a day) 120 ml per cup.

Breakfast: (8:30-10 AM) poah or any upma one and a cup, normal chapatis or pulkas three with vegetable subji. No paratas with ghee or butter. Idli or dosa also allowed. Any other breakfast items also allowed according to your food habits. Anything eat in a restricted quantity. Do not overeat.

Lunch: (1:30-2 PM) Rice or roti both are allowed with dal, vegetables, buttermilk, and salad.

Evening: coffee or tea with two marie biscuits or any other healthy snacks.

All fruits and vegetables are allowed. Any subzi you prepare, make it with less oil. Only for tadka oil should be used. Pressure cook the vegetables and then use it. That way, oil consumption will become less.

Dinner: same as lunch.

As an intermittent snack, you can drink buttermilk or eat any fruit or healthy snack. Avoid on all kinds of junk foods, processed foods, bakery products, sodas, sweets, fried foods, alcohol and smoking. Restrict on outside eating. It is better to take homemade foods. No binge eating and partying.

Organ meats can be eaten once in 15 days in restricted quantities. Skinless chicken or fish is allowed. Egg white is allowed and whole egg once in 10 days. You can use mustard oil or any sunflower oil. Go for mix. Sunflower rice bran or ground nut oil. Only mustard oil is also allowed. Ghee one tablespoon daily is allowed. No butter, cheese, or paneer.

Everyday brisk walking for one hour is compulsory. It is a simplest exercise. Apart from that, you can do other exercises also. If you are used to jogging, go for it. Otherwise not advisable. With both diet and exercise, you can easily lose weight around 2 kg in a month. I think I have covered everything.

| 

Actually, I have a gastric problem, and I consume Pan 40 tablet every day. Can I drink sattu or milk? And what are the restrictions which I should have in my diet?

#

For your gastric problem, go for a bland diet initially, and later you can switch to normal diet once your symptoms improve. Be very strict with your oil consumption. Avoid all kinds of fried foods, rich sweets, junks, etc.

Diet wise if you control your oil intake, then your cholesterol and gastritis will come into control.

Around 200 ml of milk will not cause any problems. Anything you consume too much will affect your health. If you are comfortable with sattu, you can use it.

Use fenugreek seeds or powder, flax seeds daily in your diet. It will help in controlling your lipids. You can use multigrain products. Both readymade or homemade multigrain is fine. It will give you fullness, and you will not feel hungry.

|