Q. Is lifestyle changes enough to get my cholesterol back to normal?

Dr. Prathap
This is a premium question & answer published on May 03, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 07, 2021

I am a 5.10 feet and 203 lbs male. I have been a binge drinker, drinking about 24 to 32 beers a week, and now have quit drinking from three weeks. My cholesterol was at 248. I have now been exercising 30 to 40 minutes on a treadmill, quit alcohol, quit bad fats, I eat oatmeal every day and eat fruits, vegetables, etc., almost extensively. I am also taking 1200 mg of fish oil daily. My doctor wanted to start me on Statins, but I refused. I wanted to see what my reports looks like in six months. I have heard bad things about that medication, and I honestly believe all my lifestyle changes will help. Is this going to be enough, to get my cholesterol back to normal?

#

• But the problem here is your BMI (basal mass index). So, you need to be treated with Statins also. It is better to take Statin and continue with lifestyle changes.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Even if I can lose 20 lbs, do I still need to take Statins?

#

• The treatment for overweight is based on the BMI, if BMI is 30 to 35, generally only lifestyle changes and exercise works. But, if BMI is 36 to 40, you need to add medical therapy with lifestyle changes and exercise.
  • We can expect a loss of 15 to 20 lbs in 6 to 8 months, with proper adherence and compliance to exercise, if you do it regularly for six months, you can lose 20 lbs.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

My BMI was 29.1 at the last appointment.

#

• Yes, your BMI even now it is 31. But the doctor has prescribed you Statin because of high cholesterol and you have the habit of drinking alcohol. So, at this stage, it is not mandatory to take Statin.
  • You strictly adhere to a diet schedule, exercise, and avoid drinking. Check your lipid profile in three months.
  • As you are not willing to take Statins, you can avoid it. But, Statin is a good drug with pleiotropic effects, and it has protective effects on the heart, prevents stroke, and myocardial infarction. Probably you have been misled that the drug is not good.
  • It is always advisable to take Statins, as the side effects are few, only a few people have cramps and nausea.

|