Q. Please suggest medication for my high cholesterol levels.

I did my blood test yesterday and the cholesterol levels were high. The results are as below.

Complete lipid profile test.

S. cholesterol - 244 mg.

Triglycerides - 252 mg.

LDL direct - 174 (direct).

HDL cholesterol - 34 mg/dL.

In the cholesterol tests conducted earlier, the triglyceride value only was high. No medicines were taken, started exercises after that. Again a test was done about a month ago, the result was 233 for cholesterol. No medicines were taken. Kindly suggest me if I have to start medication as the value is only going high.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

It is definitely deranged. I assume that the test was done after fasting of 8 hours, if not then worthwhile to repeat.

Now since you are young, it is important to determine whether you will need long term medications or not. So, you may give a try of healthy lifestyle for 6-8 weeks.

If you think, you already having a good lifestyle and there is no scope for further improvement or due to unavoidable factors you would not be able to modify lifestyle more, then better to be on medications. So you should have tablet Rosuvastatin 10 mg once daily bedtime for 8 weeks and repeat the lipid profile after that. Let me know the values after 8 weeks.

If you want to try a healthy lifestyle which is also an option then you may try for eight weeks. Have low oily fatty and fried foods. Have less of fast food, low-calorie foods, low butter/ghee, and low-fat milk. Avoid meat and egg yellow. Avoid sweets as much as possible. Try to achieve some weight loss. Have regular exercises like brisk walking or running according to the capacity.

Repeat the lipid profile after eight weeks of healthy lifestyle to see the response, and if there is no response then you need to be on medications. If there is a good response then medications are not necessary.

| 

I have been trying to reduce cholesterol by controlling the food and also by evening walks. I tried it for almost eight months now but the values keep going high. I feel that I will start the medicines from today and will get back to you after eight weeks.

#

Yes, then start the medication and continue to have a healthy lifestyle.

|