Q. Suggest me any medicine and guide me reduce weight.

Dr. Suneetha B S
This is a premium question & answer published on May 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 23, 2021

I am 20 years old. My weight is 65 kg. My height is 5' 5". I want to lose my weight about 4 to 5 kg. Please suggest me any medicine to reduce weight.

#

• You can lose weight by reducing your intake of oily food and sweets.
  • It is also important to space your meals in such a way that you have more frequent, small meals (and not heavy meals).
  • Regular physical exercise in the form of some cardio and strength training will make you fit and strong.
  • Sleep and hydration are equally important when you try to lose weight.
  • Ensure that you take lots of fluids and that you get at least 6-8 hours of sleep per day.

Medicine to lose weight: As a doctor, I never really recommend my patients to take medicines to lose weight. Only one drug is approved for use in India- Orlistat. If you really want to take it, you can take tablet Orlistat 60mg thrice a day (after your 3 major meals). As I have seen in practice and also research results say that orlistat does not produce too much change in weight. It shows just a small percentage of weight loss when coupled with low-calorie diet and exercise.

And Orlistat has its own share of side effects:

• Fatty/oily stool, oily spotting, intestinal gas with discharge, a feeling of needing to have a bowel movement right away, increased number of bowel movements, or poor bowel control.
  • Rare but serious side effects can occur: symptoms of liver disease (such as persistent nausea/vomiting, severe stomach/abdominal pain, dark urine, yellowing eyes/skin), symptoms of kidney stones (such as back pain, pain while urinating, pink/bloody urine).
  • Bottom line: I do not recommend medicines for weight loss.

I can make a good diet chart and exercise regimen for you if you would like to follow up, in which case you will have to get back to me with your details- your daily food routine, your work timings, your daily sleep cycle, the kind of exercises you prefer, etc.

I hope that answers your question. Revert back to a fitness expert online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/fitness-expert

|