Q. Suggest me any medicine and guide me reduce weight.

Dr. Suneetha B S
Published on May 23, 2017

I am 20 years old. My weight is 65 kg. My height is 5' 5". I want to lose my weight about 4 to 5 kg. Please suggest me any medicine to reduce weight.

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetology Microbiology Nutritionist
#

• You can lose weight by reducing your intake of oily food and sweets.
  • It is also important to space your meals in such a way that you have more frequent, small meals (and not heavy meals).
  • Regular physical exercise in the form of some cardio and strength training will make you fit and strong.
  • Sleep and hydration are equally important when you try to lose weight.
  • Ensure that you take lots of fluids and that you get at least 6-8 hours of sleep per day.

Medicine to lose weight: As a doctor, I never really recommend my patients to take medicines to lose weight. Only one drug is approved for use in India- Orlistat. If you really want to take it, you can take tablet Orlistat 60mg thrice a day (after your 3 major meals). As I have seen in practice and also research results say that orlistat does not produce too much change in weight. It shows just a small percentage of weight loss when coupled with low-calorie diet and exercise.

And Orlistat has its own share of side effects:

• Fatty/oily stool, oily spotting, intestinal gas with discharge, a feeling of needing to have a bowel movement right away, increased number of bowel movements, or poor bowel control.
  • Rare but serious side effects can occur: symptoms of liver disease (such as persistent nausea/vomiting, severe stomach/abdominal pain, dark urine, yellowing eyes/skin), symptoms of kidney stones (such as back pain, pain while urinating, pink/bloody urine).
  • Bottom line: I do not recommend medicines for weight loss.

I can make a good diet chart and exercise regimen for you if you would like to follow up, in which case you will have to get back to me with your details- your daily food routine, your work timings, your daily sleep cycle, the kind of exercises you prefer, etc.

I hope that answers your question. Revert back to a fitness expert online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/fitness-expert

Why do I have a big belly?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old male. My height is 5'6" and weight is 74 kg. I have a big belly with the rest of my body being a little leaner. I have continuous hunger even after I have had food. After a meal with five roti and a cup of rice, I will feel hungry within an hour or two. I have zero...  Read Full »

6 Best Homeopathic Remedies to Lose Weight

Article Overview: Losing weight is not an easy task. Diet and exercise are the first steps in the weight loss journey. But, with the help of homeopathy, you can hasten the process of weight loss both safely as well as efficiently. Read Article

Dr. Sheetal Kamble
Homeopathic Physician

Many people tend to gain weight quickly. Obesity and being overweight are the leading issues among all age groups. Several factors contribute towards weight gain. The common ones are Diet and lack of physical activity - Regular intake of unhealthy fatty food and insufficient physical activities ...  Read Article

Penis enlargement exercises led to swollen veins on my shaft. Please guide me.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a healthy 33 year old male. I have sex regularly and masturbate regularly. Over the years, I dabbled in penis enlargement exercises. I quit doing them a while back because I felt it was causing a damage to the penis. Recently, I used a cock ring, but for not more than ten minute...  Read Full »

Ask a Fitness Expert Now