Q. I get reflux with swollen and itchy throat with cough. Please help.

Dr. Mian Shah Yousaf

I have had a bit of silent reflux in the past, which I have been able to identify by some coughing in the night. However, this was usually associated with certain alcohol or foods and it has never been a problem.

Then, I was a bit sick and I noticed I had developed an itchy throat and cough in the next few days which turned into quite a swollen feeling in my throat, right up inside my ears and also sometimes on the chest. It has stopped now. At first, I thought it was viral or bacterial and took apple cider vinegar, lots of vitamin C and was prescribed antibiotics, all of which made my stomach very sensitive and the acid reflux worse to the point I was also having a low-grade fever every day.

I changed my diet to low acid foods, and have been using Gaviscon double and it feels somewhat better. But laryngitis has not healed. My voice is cracky and has been for a month.

Another doctor has prescribed Lansoprazole. I took it one day and my tummy was quite sore. I am unsure if I should continue it? My stomach has been very sensitive since taking the antibiotics. I am at a bit of a loss of how to fix all this.

Though I take soft foods and Gaviscon my throat is not healed yet. I am a 40-year-old female. The only other issue I have is the gallstone issue. Please help me.

#

Your symptoms are suggestive of reflux which can cause laryngitis leading to sore throat and changes in voice. I will recommend you continue Lansoprazole, but if it is causing a problem then it can be changed to Esomeprazole, this salt may help. I will recommend starting the below treatment and it will help out.

May need endoscopy if no improvement after two weeks.

Reflux associated laryngitis.

Capsule Lansoprazole one in the morning before breakfast for four weeks, Domperidone 10 mg
one tablet three times daily before meals for two weeks, syrup Gaviscon 10 ml three times daily after meals for two weeks.

1. Avoid late-night eating. 2. Increase height of head end of your bed by 5 inches. 3. Avoid coffee, tea, and chocolate.

| 
1 out of 1 likes