Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I had a serious breakup with my girlfriend. I feel lonely. What do I do?

Answered by
Dr. Arooj Najmussaqib
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 09, 2014 and last reviewed on: Oct 16, 2018

Hi doctor,

One year ago, I had a serious breakup with my girlfriend. It was a relationship of five years. Even today, I am not able to forget her. I keep thinking about her. I am not able to concentrate on anything. I feel lonely. What do I do?

Dr. Arooj Najmussaqib

Psychologist/ Counsellor


Welcome to

Relationship issues need to be settled down before it starts disturbing you. You have to fully understand what it will lead to and how it will affect your life in the long run.

When you get into any relationship for more than a year, you start associating and sharing your feelings with that person, which is quite obvious.

In any breakup, the reason for the breakup is very important to deal with. You have not mentioned it here. If you had mentioned, it would have been even more helpful in suggestions.


  1. It seems that you have not yet accepted that you had a breakup. The reason for it must be challenged and accepted on your part. Once you deal with that, it will be easier for you to move on.
  2. Try journaling or writing to an unknown friend (or to yourself) and share your emotions and feelings honestly.
  3. Do not avoid recalling your memories because the more you avoid the more you get into it. Go through it with the help of a counselor and it will make you feel much better.
  4. Follow up with the details of your relationship issue for a better management.

Consult a psychiatrist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
How to judge a person wisely?
I had a serious breakup with my girlfriend. I feel lonely. What do I do?
Due to constant rejection, I have lost my sex drive. Please help.
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

How can I come out of depression?

Query: Hello doctor,I am depressing a lot for the past one year because of my personal issues. I do not know why when I am depressed my heart started paining high. It pains a lot. So, I could not concentrate on my studies due to depression. My thoughts are going to it even though I try to control. I want t...  Read Full »

How can I reduce my depression?

Query: Hi doctor, When I wake up from my sleep, I feel empty. I am not willing to do my work. I neglect my study. I always stay alone in my room. I am feeling lonely. I got a breakup. After having a breakup, my depression got worse. I am crying every day for around seven months. I am unable to focus anymo...  Read Full »

How should I deal my 8 year old sons's wanking habit?

Query: Hi doctor, I have an 8-year-old son. Recently, I came home from work and found him wanking in the living room. He saw me standing there, and he was not embarrassed that I caught him. He continued to do it, so I walked away and left him wanking. I have not spoken to him about that on that day. Since...  Read Full »

Also Read

COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»
I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?
Hello doctor, I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleep...  Read more»
I have redness in my eyes. How to stop it from getting redder?
Hello doctor,I am a 16-year-old boy. I have a problem with my eyes, and I had this problem for a very long time. I do no...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.