Q. What can be done to manage depression due to break-up?

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat
M.B.B.S., D.P.M., MEMBER OF INDIAN PSYCHIATRIC SOCIETY., SPECIALIST IN MOOD AND ANXIETY DISORDERS
Psychiatry, Psychologist/ Counsellor, Psychotherapy, Sexology, Sleep Medicine

A heartbreak or a fall out of a relationship is a saddening experience. There is a feeling of loss coupled with damage to self-esteem. But lots of people experience it at least once in life. Here are a few tips to cope with it.

Sitting or lying down all day at home will not help and in fact, worsen depression. It is time to interact with friends as much as possible. Treat yourself to a movie with friends, a dinner, a visit to nearby holiday spot. If these sound difficult, at least interact on phone. Indulge in your hobby which you enjoy. Share your thoughts with a close family member or friend. Get active physically. Join a gym, start cycling, or maybe dancing if you like.

Realize that it is better that it happened now rather than farther late in the relationship when you would have been more emotionally invested. It has been a while that you are used to being in a relationship. Do not be scared of being single for some time. It is worth enjoying too. Do not rush into your next relationship right away. Remember that time heals all heart trauma in a way that you emerge stronger and emotionally healthier out of it. If you feel that it is difficult to begin these activities, see a psychologist or psychiatrist. Sometimes an initial help is needed to get out of this cycle. Take care.

Stress
Article Overview: Stress is the body’s normal response to any stimuli. It is the feeling of emotional or physical tension. Everybody gets stressed at some point in their life, which is rational and also helpful to perform under pressure.  Read Article »
Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

What Is Stress? Stress is the body’s normal response to any stimuli. It is the feeling of emotional or physical tension. Everybody gets stressed at some point in their life, which is rational and also helpful to perform under pressure. But, prolonged periods of stress is not good and might ha ...  Read Article »

I am stressed with my inability and erection problem. Please help.
Query: Hi doctor, I am 31 years old. I have been married for four years now and have a 2.5 year old kid. The problem is that I hardly ever feel to have sex with my wife. I started noticing this issue after a couple of weeks into the marriage. I get an erection at the initial stage, but cannot sustain the ...  Read Full »
Dr. Pankaj Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It can be considered as selective anoragasmia. Here the more important part that only with your wife you do not have feelings for intimation during intercourse or difficulty in sustaining erections, while you have good erections while watching porn and masturbation. I wo...  Read Full »

Can depression be a cause for weight loss?
Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from gastric problem for the last one and a half month. I lost 4 kg due to depression. I did my whole body checkup and all the reports are clear. But, I am having pain in my right hand muscle as well as have body pain. Is it due to depression? I studied about leukemia on i...  Read Full »
Dr. Pooja Pardhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query. There are many causes for weight loss. Weight loss can be due to depression. Even any chronic infection in body can cause weight loss. If you are not taking proper diet due to gastric problem, then this might also the reason for your w...  Read Full »

Can mild back pain be due to cyst in kidney?
Why am I having low sex drive with erectile dysfunction?
What Are Varicose Veins?

Also Read Answers From