Q. Have I done any damage to my ears by using narrow rod to remove wax?

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar

I had put a narrow rod on my hear accidentally yesterday, it delivers more wax in my ear with red color and my hearing is not clear normally. I had not taken any treatment and any first aid for that.

#

There is a high probability that you would have accidentally injured the eardrum while cleaning. This is a very common thing to happen and you do not have to worry too much. The defect in the eardrum interferes with optimum sound transmission to the middle and inner ear and thereby you will have symptoms such as continuous ringing sensations, muffled sounds, echoing of your own voice or any loud sound, intolerance to high frequency sounds, decreased hearing, etc.

Usually, over four to six weeks, this traumatic perforation heals and you will be completely fine. However, you should not let it get infected as it can interfere with the healing process and if proper hygiene is not maintained the perforation might never close.

My advice for you would be:

1. Completely refrain using earbuds / q tips however, intense the itching might get.

2. Always consult to an ent before you apply any medication to the ear.

3. Place sterile cotton in the outer ear and change it every six hours.

4. Wear a shower cap while taking a head bath so that water does not enter inside.

There is no medication required here as such unless you are having an infection associated with copious amount of discharge.

|