Q. Can I exercise with resistance bands if I have neck, shoulder and back pain?

Dr. Atul Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 18, 2019

Can I exercise with resistance bands if I have neck, shoulder and back pain?

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health
#

• You should realize that there are two types of exercises.
  1. Range of motion. This is recommended when the patient has pain, active symptoms, muscle spasm, and instability.
  2. Strengthening: once the acute pain has settled and a full pain-free range of motion has been achieved, these exercises can be done for strength or endurance.
  • Now coming to your question, if you are having pain, then this is not the time to do strengthening exercises.
  • You should be taking the right efforts to improve your symptoms, reduce pain and achieve a full pain-free range of motion.
  • I suggest you try taking muscle relaxants, NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) tablets, apply ice, and hot packs until the pain settles. Then do Thera-Band exercises.

For more information consult a physiotherapist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/physiotherapist

| 

When can physiotherapy be started after bilateral hip replacement surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I had bilateral hip replacement surgery done recently. The right hip was replaced last month, and the left hip was replaced this month. Is it advisable to do physiotherapy now?  Read Full »

Why is there neck pain on turning to side?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in my neck whenever I turn it to the left, occurring in the back left-hand side of my neck, and this has been happening for the last six months. I am currently on no medication. I am a female, age 15, 5'5".  Read Full »

Had cervical polypectomy and experiencing back pain. Will it subside in time?

Query: Hi doctor, I had cervical polypectomy and was told to expect brown discharge. Now experiencing cramping, minor bleeding, vinegar smell, and severe back pain, to the point that I am dizzy and nauseous. A couple of days earlier had a bunch of discharge that looked like dark reddish and orangish skin....  Read Full »

Ask a Physiotherapist Now