Common "Rh Incompatibility Complications" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Rh Incompatibility Complications

Rh incompatibility is a condition that occurs during pregnancy where an Rh-negative woman has a baby with Rh-positive blood. During pregnancy, red blood cells from the baby can pass into the mother's blood through the placenta. The mother's immune system treats Rh-positive fetal cells as a foreign substance and makes antibodies against them. These antibodies cross the placenta and destroy the red blood cells of the baby. It results in increased bilirubin levels in the baby. Usually, firstborn infants are not affected unless the mother had past miscarriages. The complications are brain damage due to high levels of bilirubin, hearing problems, seizures, fluid buildup, and swelling in the baby.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Can the same blood group cause problems after marriage?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife's and mine blood groups are the same. Both of our blood group is B. Will there be any problem in our married life?  Read Full »

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

Answer: Hi, Welcome to There are two major blood group systems. ABO - According to this system, the blood group can be A, B, O, or AB. Rh system - According to this system, the blood group can be Rh positive or negative. You have not mentioned the Rh grouping. You both have the same blo...  Read Full »

Does blood group compatibility affect conceiving success?

Query: Hello doctor, I am going to marry next month. Actually, problem is, I have A +ve blood group and she has B -ve blood group. So, I want to know, will this blood group combination create a problem at a time of conceiving to the mother and the fetus in the future?  Read Full »

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

Answer: Hello, Welcome to You are having a positive group and your wife is having a negative group. So, in the first pregnancy, it will not create any problem in the mother or child. But, sensitization to Rh antigen can occur and mother forms antibody against Rh D antigen. If she conceives fo...  Read Full »

Is second pregnancy safe in Rh negative mother after anti-D injection?

Query: Hello doctor, My blood group is O +ve and my wife's is O -ve. Our child was born four years back and he is O +ve. After his birth, my wife was given an injection to avoid future complications arising due to opposite blood groups of my wife and son. Two years later, she had an abortion. The pregnancy...  Read Full »

Dr. Neha Rathod

Answer: Hi, Welcome to As she has received injection after first delivery, there is nothing to worry about. So relax and do not worry. However, if you have a doubt then get an indirect Coombs test to make sure that there is no risk. The miscarriage could be because of some other cause and not...  Read Full »

During pregnancy, does kell antigens cause any permanent effect in babies?

Query: Hi doctor, My partner is pregnant with twins at 22 weeks. She has Kell antigens in her blood received from a transfusion when my first son is born. I did a blood test last week, and I also have a Kell group present in my blood. Do my babies are safe? What can be done to help them? Are there any per...  Read Full »

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Kell blood group is a minor blood group system. ABO and Rh are called major blood group systems. Kell antigen can be antigenic and can create a problem during a blood transfusion or else it may not create any problem. So there is no need for a specific treatment. Whenev...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.