Q. How to get rid of pain due to rheumatoid arthritis that developed after surgery?

Dr. Rajiv Ranjan Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 17, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 04, 2020

I have 2 months old baby now. I had rheumatoid arthritis while I am pregnant. I had no pain so I was not in medication. After delivery, I am getting pain in the hand and elbows. I wanted to get rid of this. Please help.

Dr. Rajiv Ranjan Kumar

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

Rheumatoid arthritis flare (increase in disease activity) usually occurs after delivery. It is pretty common to have joint pain and swelling after delivery. Since you have two months old baby, the first-line medication of RA that is Folitrax (Methotrexate) is contraindicated. Please do one marker of inflammation, ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and CRP (C-reactive protein).

You can restart HCQS (Hydroxychloroquine sulfate) 200 mg one tablet daily in the night along with low dose steroid (Prednisolone 5 -7.5 mg) one tablet daily in the morning after breakfast. Continue calcium and vitamin D supplements.

For further management and discussion, you can review with CBC (complete blood count), LFT (liver function test), KFT (kidney function test), ESR, and CRP blood tests.

Flare of RA.

CBC. LFT, KFT, ESR, and CRP.

|