Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. How to get rid of pain due to rheumatoid arthritis that developed after surgery?

Answered by
Dr. Rajiv Ranjan Kumar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 17, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 04, 2020

Hi doctor,

I have 2 months old baby now. I had rheumatoid arthritis while I am pregnant. I had no pain so I was not in medication. After delivery, I am getting pain in the hand and elbows. I wanted to get rid of this. Please help.

Dr. Rajiv Ranjan Kumar

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology


Welcome to

Rheumatoid arthritis flare (increase in disease activity) usually occurs after delivery. It is pretty common to have joint pain and swelling after delivery. Since you have two months old baby, the first-line medication of RA that is Folitrax (Methotrexate) is contraindicated. Please do one marker of inflammation, ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and CRP (C-reactive protein).

You can restart HCQS (Hydroxychloroquine sulfate) 200 mg one tablet daily in the night along with low dose steroid (Prednisolone 5 -7.5 mg) one tablet daily in the morning after breakfast. Continue calcium and vitamin D supplements.

For further management and discussion, you can review with CBC (complete blood count), LFT (liver function test), KFT (kidney function test), ESR, and CRP blood tests.

I hope this helps.

The Probable causes:

Flare of RA.

Investigations to be done:


Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
My wife has rheumatoid arthritis with high ESR, RA factor and swollen fingers. Please suggest a solution.
The ESR rate is 85 with other normal blood reports. Is there any medication for it?
What does high hs-CRP indicate?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

What is the frequency of consultation in the treatment for rheumatoid arthritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have rheumatoid arthritis. There is a long waiting list to see a rheumatologist in my place. I am thinking of seeing a private doctor but I have limited funds. How often would I need to see a rheumatologist? I cannot afford it every week or maybe every few months. How often do you t...  Read Full »

My hs-CRP is high. Am I in danger?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently did a complete blood test. In the report, it was detected hs-CRP 3.8 mg. My age is 36, and my weight is 103 kg. Please advise how it can be lowered and do am in danger zone.  Read Full »

Does elevated ESR cause any infections?

Query: Hi doctor, I used to do CBC test before each time when I go for a travel and this time also, I did the same. Can anyone please tell me if these reports are fine? Or if I am suffering from any disease as some values are out of range. I am taking tablet Telday 40 mg in the evening for the blood press...  Read Full »

Also Read

Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?
Having celiac fromnlast 10 year dignosis recently ayear ago since then i am gluten free still cant absorb food feeling w...  Read more»
My head is shivering from 20 days, and it feels like head trauma. What is the cause?
Hello sir, My head is shivering like anything , feeling like trauma is head. And its start anytime in a day and when s...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Rheumatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.