Q. I have swollen joints, hands and feet with pain post fever treatment. Why?

Dr. Aleph

I am 32 years old. My sickness started with a slight fever Tuesday night, then Wednesday I got a higher temperature of 38.1. Then Thursday night rashes appeared. I went to a local doctor Friday morning as my fever reach 39 degrees C. They gave me a fast drip to lower my temperature. Then Saturday morning my temperature went down to 37 but I still have few rashes. Then I started feeling my swollen joint, hands, and feet pain. Now I already took a bath as my temperature is 36.3 C. I am just worried about my swollen feet and hands and the pain is troubling.

I am currently takin Biogesic Paracetamol.

#

Has this happened before or is it the first time? Can you describe the rashes or better a photo of it? Is it itchy, is it generalized or located in specific areas, blanching, flat or elevated?

Regarding the swelling of the hands and feet, Is it the first time? Does taking Paracetamol help with the pain? Is it swollen or just painful? And which joints are specifically affected? The wrist or joints along with the fingers? What about feet and ankle? What did the CBC (complete blood test) reveal?

The rashes are already gone but my hands and feet are swollen. From time to time I am getting pulsating pain in them. I applied ice cold packs and somehow it lessens the pain and swelling.

#

So far from what you have disclosed, it looks like a case of rheumatoid arthritis. But I will need to see the CBC results and to please add the following tests:

1.Rheumatoid factor.

2. CRP (C-reactive protein).

3. ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate).

If there is still swelling, suggest to take Prednisone 5 mg one tablet at bedtime for seven days only then stop. Please do a follow-up.

CBC, ESR, RA, and CRP.

Prednisone 5 mg one tablet at bedtime for seven days only and then stop.

Continue warm and cold compress three times a day 15 minutes each.

Follow up after one week or once with results or no improvement in symptoms.

|