Q. I have swollen joints, hands and feet with pain post fever treatment. Why?

Dr. Aleph

I am 32 years old. My sickness started with a slight fever Tuesday night, then Wednesday I got a higher temperature of 38.1. Then Thursday night rashes appeared. I went to a local doctor Friday morning as my fever reach 39 degrees C. They gave me a fast drip to lower my temperature. Then Saturday morning my temperature went down to 37 but I still have few rashes. Then I started feeling my swollen joint, hands, and feet pain. Now I already took a bath as my temperature is 36.3 C. I am just worried about my swollen feet and hands and the pain is troubling.

I am currently takin Biogesic Paracetamol.

Dr. Aleph

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Has this happened before or is it the first time? Can you describe the rashes or better a photo of it? Is it itchy, is it generalized or located in specific areas, blanching, flat or elevated?

Regarding the swelling of the hands and feet, Is it the first time? Does taking Paracetamol help with the pain? Is it swollen or just painful? And which joints are specifically affected? The wrist or joints along with the fingers? What about feet and ankle? What did the CBC (complete blood test) reveal?

| 

The rashes are already gone but my hands and feet are swollen. From time to time I am getting pulsating pain in them. I applied ice cold packs and somehow it lessens the pain and swelling.

Dr. Aleph

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

So far from what you have disclosed, it looks like a case of rheumatoid arthritis. But I will need to see the CBC results and to please add the following tests:

1.Rheumatoid factor.

2. CRP (C-reactive protein).

3. ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate).

If there is still swelling, suggest to take Prednisone 5 mg one tablet at bedtime for seven days only then stop. Please do a follow-up.

CBC, ESR, RA, and CRP.

Prednisone 5 mg one tablet at bedtime for seven days only and then stop.

Continue warm and cold compress three times a day 15 minutes each.

Follow up after one week or once with results or no improvement in symptoms.

| 

What is the frequency of consultation in the treatment for rheumatoid arthritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have rheumatoid arthritis. There is a long waiting list to see a rheumatologist in my place. I am thinking of seeing a private doctor but I have limited funds. How often would I need to see a rheumatologist? I cannot afford it every week or maybe every few months. How often do you t...  Read Full »

Fever in Babies: When to Call the Doctor

Article Overview: Fever is a non-specific symptom. When babies have fever, it can be traumatic for the parents as well, because they are unsure of what is causing it and how to soothe the baby. Adding to their anxiety, the baby is unable to explain his/ her discomfort in words. This article deals with how to take care of a baby who is down with fever and when to seek medical help. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S
Child Health Specialist

Fever is not an illness by itself, but a symptom. It can be due to virus or bacteria. Viral fevers that come with the common flu or cold tend to subside within three days. They do not require antibiotics as these medicines have no effect on the virus. On the other hand, bacterial fevers like urinary...  Read Article

Why do I have pain in my hands and wrists?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having pain in my hands and wrist and it started a few months ago. It is typically in the morning. I visited a doctor and she did blood tests. The result flagged in my blood tests was anti-Sm/RNP 2.8 and she has referred me to a rheumatologist, who cannot see me for the next two ...  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now