Q. Is there nothing that can be done about the pain from scoliosis and hypermobility?

Dr. Atul Prakash
Published on Jan 06, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

• I am a 26 year old female. My height is 5'1" and I weigh 53 Kg.
  • I have had pain in all joints.
  • I also experience pain in the spine between shoulders and down to my tailbone since 2010, on and off.
  • I have finally seen a rheumatologist. The doctor said I have scoliosis, minor spondyloarthritis and hypermobility.
  • She gave me Sulfazine that did not work and instead I developed nausea.
  • Hopefully in a month, I can start taking an injection which the doctor told will only help with the arthritis pain.
  • I was also told that I need to learn to live with pain and nothing can be done about the pain related to the other disorders.
  • The doctor also asked me to keep taking Ibuprofen.
  • Is there nothing that can be done about the pain from scoliosis and hypermobility?
  • Do I need to learn to live with pain that restricts me from doing any physical work (even cooking and cleaning)?

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health
#

• It looks like your doctor is treating you for Rheumatoid arthritis.
  • However, what is not clear is the fact that how this conclusion was arrived at.
  • Have they done these tests - ESR, CRP, Rheumatoid Factor blood test, Anti-CCP antibodies test?
  • How long does the morning stiffness last? 
  • How many joints in the finger/hands do you experience pain and actual tenderness? 
  • I am asking these questions inorder to match your signs and symptoms with EULAR or the New American College of Rheumatology guidelines
  • Also I wonder why Methotrexate was not started as a primary drug.
  • Please clarify the above with your doctor. 
  • Now coming to living with symptoms, you should respond in a reasonable period of time say 6 weeks at maximum both clinically and with regards to the inflammatory markers CRP, ESR etc. If this is not happening a review of diagnosis and medicines must be done.
  • Finally the scoliosis per se does not cause pain and neither does hypermobility, unless they are long standing and gross. 
  • Perhaps, seeing a good manual therapist is a way forward to control your spinal symptoms. 

Hope this helps and revert back to a rheumatologist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

Can scoliosis get corrected through surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I have scoliosis from my 15 years of age. Now, I am 36 years old. I am a very active teacher and mom. The pain medicines are not helping me now and I have started to limp and lean. Can it get corrected through surgery?  Read Full »

Why do my eyes get stuck on awakening?

Query: Hi doctor, I am wondering about my eye condition. I have had Symblepharon and I may have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (awaiting diagnosis). I have general tissue fragility. My skin will stretch more than normal, hypermobility of my joints due to fragile stretchy tendons and ligaments that provide poor sup...  Read Full »

Prevention of Joint Pain in Old Age

Article Overview: Joint pain in old age is a major concern that should not be ignored. Most of us suffer from knee pain or back pain after an age. If we follow simple measures in daily routine then most of these conditions can be prevented. Read Article

Dr. Tiwari

Knee joint pain and backache especially in the lumbar region is a very common problem. Almost every one suffers from these problems in life either because of unhealthy lifestyle or some disease. In most cases, these are preventable and treatable, but due to lack of knowledge most people suffer from ...  Read Article

Ask a Rheumatologist Now