Q. Is there nothing that can be done about the pain from scoliosis and hypermobility?

Dr. Atul Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 06, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

• I am a 26 year old female. My height is 5'1" and I weigh 53 Kg.
  • I have had pain in all joints.
  • I also experience pain in the spine between shoulders and down to my tailbone since 2010, on and off.
  • I have finally seen a rheumatologist. The doctor said I have scoliosis, minor spondyloarthritis and hypermobility.
  • She gave me Sulfazine that did not work and instead I developed nausea.
  • Hopefully in a month, I can start taking an injection which the doctor told will only help with the arthritis pain.
  • I was also told that I need to learn to live with pain and nothing can be done about the pain related to the other disorders.
  • The doctor also asked me to keep taking Ibuprofen.
  • Is there nothing that can be done about the pain from scoliosis and hypermobility?
  • Do I need to learn to live with pain that restricts me from doing any physical work (even cooking and cleaning)?
#

• It looks like your doctor is treating you for Rheumatoid arthritis.
  • However, what is not clear is the fact that how this conclusion was arrived at.
  • Have they done these tests - ESR, CRP, Rheumatoid Factor blood test, Anti-CCP antibodies test?
  • How long does the morning stiffness last? 
  • How many joints in the finger/hands do you experience pain and actual tenderness? 
  • I am asking these questions inorder to match your signs and symptoms with EULAR or the New American College of Rheumatology guidelines
  • Also I wonder why Methotrexate was not started as a primary drug.
  • Please clarify the above with your doctor. 
  • Now coming to living with symptoms, you should respond in a reasonable period of time say 6 weeks at maximum both clinically and with regards to the inflammatory markers CRP, ESR etc. If this is not happening a review of diagnosis and medicines must be done.
  • Finally the scoliosis per se does not cause pain and neither does hypermobility, unless they are long standing and gross. 
  • Perhaps, seeing a good manual therapist is a way forward to control your spinal symptoms. 

Hope this helps and revert back to a rheumatologist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

|