Q. What is the treatment for rheumatoid arthritis?

Published on Mar 28, 2018

I am diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I have swelling on ankles, elbows and some fingers along with deformity in right wrist. Currently, I am taking ayurvedic medication. I need consultation.

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

If you are diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, have completed your family, and do not want to conceive further, then start DMARDS (disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs), Methotrexate 15 mg once a week and Hydroxychloroquine 200 mg morning and evening if you have active arthritis. Start low dose of Methylprednisolone (Sterio 4 mg) once daily and Pantop 40 mg before breakfast. If you want to have kids, then instead of Methotrexate take SAAZ (Sulfasalazine) 500 mg morning and evening. Also, mention your C-reactive protein and ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate)

For more information consult a rheumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

Is Prednisone a safe alternative to DMARDS?

#

Prednisone is not DMARD. It is a steroid. It does not prevent joint deformity. Only Methotrexate does.

The biopsy of my skin rash showed interface dermatitis with mucin. Do I have lupus?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 43 year old female, and I have had itchy, red, and burning rashes. It all started as a few bumps on my right arm, above my eyebrow, right upper nose area, all over the jaw and chin area, right chest and upper back react badly to the sun, and it is getting worse. I have had a l...  Read Full >>

Dr. Naval Mendiratta
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The rashes that you are describing along with the biopsy findings can go in favor of a connective tissue disease. Although, I would like to see the reports in detail, but as you mentioned interface dermatitis, it goes more in favor of lupus over dermatomyositis. But, ...  Read Full

Why do I have acute pain in my whole body?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 42 year old male. Two months back, one fine day, when I woke up I had acute pain in my whole body. I was unable to stand up, walk or pull anything. I had pain in and around the knees, elbow and wrist. I consulted a general physician and got uric acid test done. My uric acid was 8....  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi. Welcome to icliniq.com. Your diagnosis is right and you have inflammation of your joints leading to pain. The medicines given to you by your doctor are disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs). They would offer you relief in long term. You would need to either take nonsteroidal anti-inflam...  Read Full

How do I manage my rheumatoid arthritis until I wait for my specialist?

Query: Hello doctor, My primary care physician said that I may have RA. My ESR rate was 27, my CRP was 14.1 and my CCP antibody IgG was 500. What does this mean? I have heard a high CCP result could indicate more aggression in my RA, if that is what I have.  Read Full >>

Dr. Divya Agarwal
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, the chances that you have RA (rheumatoid arthritis) or are developing it, are high. Anti-CCP antibodies are associated with RA and may also indicate an aggressive disease. However, there are various prognostic markers. This is only one of them. A high ESR and CRP,...  Read Full

Ask a Rheumatologist Now