Q. I have pain under my right ribcage for the past six months. Kindly interpret my lumbar MRI.

Dr. Vivek Chail

I have pain under the right ribcage from front to back for the past six months. I tried muscle relaxants, but it did not work. I need a Radiologist to read my lumbar MRI.

#

Your MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) lumbar spine shows mild degenerative changes in the vertebral bodies (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

There is disc desiccation in L2-L3, L3-L4, L4-L5, and L5-S1 disc levels.

Mild disc bulges in L4-L5 and L5-S1 disc levels.

Small posterior annular tear in L5-S1 disc level.

Mild bilateral neural foraminal compromise in L3-L4, L4-L5, and L5-S1 disc levels.

No spinal canal stenosis.

Perineural cyst present in the spinal canal at S2 vertebral level.

The findings in the MRI lumbar spine are mild, and there are no serious concerns.

The pain in the rib cage area on the right are not related to the MRI lumbar spine.

Should we be worried about the perineural cyst? Any further investigations required? Should we also get a thoracic MRI?

#

A perineural cyst is a benign condition and does not need any treatment. It will usually not cause any problems unless it is a large one.

Coming to the pain under the rib cage, if the pain is in the ribs and extending to the spine, then an MRI thoracic can show any possible areas of concern. There are many structures in the pain area, and a detailed clinical evaluation needs to be done to narrow down to possible causes.

As he has got gall bladder surgery done, there might be a need to evaluate the upper abdomen on ultrasound scan, CT scan, or MRI MRCP as needed.

|