Q. I have severe rib pain and it hurts more while standing and taking deep breaths. Please help.

Dr. Santosh-kumar Bashyal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 11, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 27, 2020

I am having severe rib pain since this morning and it hurts when I stand up straight or when I move or lay down. I tried putting a heating pad and ice pack on it and did not do anything. I feel extreme discomfort, cannot take deep breathes, and feel sharp stabbing pain once in a while.

#

There are many conditions where we can get chest pain along with ribs pain. I would like to ask a few questions. Is that pain on costochondral junction which means if you palpate your ribs you can feel there is one gap and then the other rib is started. So pain in that region is costochondritis but the pain is like neurogenic pain sharp and localized (at specific).

Does that pain radiates to the tip of shoulder or not? Is the pain associated with other symptoms like palpitation? Had you done exercise one day before and got pain?

Meanwhile, I would recommend you start one drug and let us work on your problem. Also, remember anxiety and panic attacks can cause symptoms very similar to angina. These attacks which can occur out of the blue or in response to a stressful event include chest pain along with shortness of breath, palpitations, and dizziness.

Take tablet Parafon Forte (Chlorzoxazone) 500 mg per oral three daily after food for three days. This prescription for you helps relax certain muscles in your body and relieve the discomfort caused by acute (short-term), painful muscle, or bone conditions.

|