Q. I have pain when I do deep breathing following a fall. Do I need surgery?

Answered by
Dr. Anuj Gupta
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 07, 2022

Hello doctor,

I have been suffering a sports injury following a fall. I suspect it to be a combination of muscle strain and separated false rib cartilage that has slipped up behind another rib only on my right side. I also noticed a visible lump on my right chest wall when my ribs are contracted or expanded. And also, there is a visible deficit in my ribs near my chest wall when my ribs are contracted. Additionally, when my ribs are expanded, the ribs and cartilage appear misaligned. I have pain or discomfort at most movements, including deep breathing. At the time of the fall and immediately after, I did not have any pain but just discomfort. I started having severe pain after that. I underwent an X-ray for the same to look for fractured ribs, and none was found. I have a history of anxiety, depression, and ADHD, and I have been taking tablet Buspirone, tablet Desvenlafaxine only when I need instant relief, and tablet Trazodone.

What could this be? What can I do to get this fixed, ideally without surgery?

Please help.



Welcome to

I read your query and can understand your concern. Kindly add more about the following;

1. What is your age?

2. When did this injury happen?

3. Has your pain reduced since the injury?

Also, please attach the X-rays to analyze the condition better.

Revert with the requested information.

Hello doctor,

Thank you for your response.

1. I am 36 years old.

2. This injury occurred around a week ago.

3. The first four days after the injury, I had severe pain; after that, the pain got a little better. But for the past few days, the pain has been the same. I am wearing a rib brace and avoiding anything that causes pain to the best of my ability.

I will attach the X-rays as soon as possible.



Welcome back to

Whenever there is a chest injury, the first thing to worry about is the possibility of a lung injury. In your case, since it has been a week and you are walking around comfortably, the possibility of a lung injury is faint.

Secondly, the injury to the ribs takes a lot of time to heal. Even if there is no fracture, it takes a lot of time for the pain to subside. The reason behind this is that we cannot immobilize our chest as one cannot stop breathing, so the chest keeps on moving. Give yourself some time, and definitely, your pain will subside. It will take somewhere between three to six weeks.

Please revert with the X-ray reports so that we can discuss this further and come up with the diagnosis.

I hope I have answered your query.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What can be done to relieve muscle pain in fibula?

.. pain looks to be more of muscle fatigue. As the fatigue is going to set in because of a less muscular part in the leg region. Mostly the anterior portion of the leg pains which is the fascia pain. You can use icing to reduce the pain. For having a...   Read full

I get sudden pain in the left ribs which seems radiating from abdomen. Is it due to pancreatitis?

.. through your concern. The pain what you experience may not be due to pancreas as you feel as usually it will get referred to the right side. There is something like spasm between your intercoastal muscles that will lead to same symptoms and pain t...   Read full

I have severe pain in the left middle rib and is worsening. Should I worry about it?

However, it would be best if you can get a chest x-ray and an ECG (electrocardiogram) to rule out a rib fracture and a heart condition (angina) respectively ... Hello doctor, I have been having severe left middle rib pain for about a month and now i...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»
Importance of Sex Hormones - Types, Functions, Normal Ranges, and Roles
Sex hormones are steroids produced in the body that control sexual development, pregnancy, and overall health. Read belo...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.