Q. I have rib cage pain whenever I take a deep breath. What could be wrong?

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar
Published on Aug 31, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 21, 2019

Every time I am sitting down and taking a deep breath, the left side of my rib cage hurts. Even when I bend over to take a deep breath, it stills hurts and it only happens when I am sitting down, bending over or I am laying on the left side. What could this be? It also feels a little sore.

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

#

• According to your complaints, I think you might have a sore cartilage between the ribs also known as costochondritis unless and until ruled out.
  • If you recently did some heavy workout, lifted something heavy or had a hit on the left part, then the chances of having a sore rib are higher but, if you have anything like a sore throat, fever, swelling in the neck, runny nose, and other symptoms, I would recommend you consult your local clinic for further workup.
  • For costochondritis examination too, you will have to get to the clinic to get examined and start a small dose of medications to relieve the pain and rule out other causes.
  • Until the pain subsides, please do not do anything that would strain the area of your left side rib cage.

Take care. Have a nice day.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

My left arm is paining and turned purple after a dance practice. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My entire left arm is paining. I feel like the nerves pop when I finish playing the flute. I went to a dance practice, and my hand was purple, and after I massaged it, it went back to its normal color. What is causing this? What can I do to fix it?  Read Full »

Please suggest some painkiller for my back pain.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25 year old female, who is suffering from severe back pain. I am a teacher and have a 7 months old child. When I am at work, I have back pains at the end of the backbone, on the right side over the kidney. I got an ultrasound and an x-ray of the back. And I do not have any kidney s...  Read Full »

Chest pain since 15 days. ECG & TMT reports are normal. What could be the problem?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am having chest pain since 15 days. My ECG & TMT reports are negative. But still I am suffering with the pain. Please suggest me the appropriate treatment.  Read Full »