Q. I have rib cage pain whenever I take a deep breath. What could be wrong?

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar
Published on Aug 31, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 21, 2019

Every time I am sitting down and taking a deep breath, the left side of my rib cage hurts. Even when I bend over to take a deep breath, it stills hurts and it only happens when I am sitting down, bending over or I am laying on the left side. What could this be? It also feels a little sore.

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

#

• According to your complaints, I think you might have a sore cartilage between the ribs also known as costochondritis unless and until ruled out.
  • If you recently did some heavy workout, lifted something heavy or had a hit on the left part, then the chances of having a sore rib are higher but, if you have anything like a sore throat, fever, swelling in the neck, runny nose, and other symptoms, I would recommend you consult your local clinic for further workup.
  • For costochondritis examination too, you will have to get to the clinic to get examined and start a small dose of medications to relieve the pain and rule out other causes.
  • Until the pain subsides, please do not do anything that would strain the area of your left side rib cage.

Take care. Have a nice day.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

My left arm is paining and turned purple after a dance practice. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My entire left arm is paining. I feel like the nerves pop when I finish playing the flute. I went to a dance practice, and my hand was purple, and after I massaged it, it went back to its normal color. What is causing this? What can I do to fix it?  Read Full >>

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This can happen due to a thoracic outlet syndrome or a cervical rib, which can cause compression of nerves and blood vessels and lead to pain and discoloration of the arm and hand. So, I suggest you try doing the following. Get an x-ray of the chest. You need to develop y...  Read Full

Please suggest some painkiller for my back pain.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25 year old female, who is suffering from severe back pain. I am a teacher and have a 7 months old child. When I am at work, I have back pains at the end of the backbone, on the right side over the kidney. I got an ultrasound and an x-ray of the back. And I do not have any kidney s...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shinas Hussain A P

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and I can understand your concerns The severe back pain that you have mentioned, suggests some spine related conditions probably IVDP (intervertebral disc prolapse), which might be aggravated by your posture and strain. You can try the ...  Read Full

Chest pain since 15 days. ECG & TMT reports are normal. What could be the problem?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am having chest pain since 15 days. My ECG & TMT reports are negative. But still I am suffering with the pain. Please suggest me the appropriate treatment.  Read Full >>

Dr. Rohit Jain

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com Chest pain might be due to many reasons other than heart problem (primarily pleuritis - swelling of the lung membrane due to infection). Get your CBC (Complete Blood Count) and chest x-ray done to rule out this cause. Do massage on the affected area with a pain relievi...  Read Full