I have been suffering from a ringworm infection for the last two years. Kindly suggest a treatment.

Q. How to cure a a ringworm infection?

Dr. Sandhya Narayanan Kutty
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 23, 2023 and last reviewed on: Sep 21, 2023

I have been suffering from a ringworm infection for the last two years. I consulted many doctors, but it did not solve my problem. Kindly help.

#

I have gone through the history and image (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) provided by your end, and I understand your concern. Ringworm or Tinea corporis infection needs consistent treatment and usually recurs due to stagnation of moisture and sweat on the affected area and reduced immunity. I suggest you do the following-

1. Keto soap (Ketoconazole) may be used for bathing. Lather in water and apply on the affected area only. Leave for three minutes and wash off twice daily. Regular soap may be used for unaffected areas.

2. Kz (Ketoconazole) 2 % cream may be applied in the morning and night on the affected area.

3. Abzorb dusting powder (Clotrimazole 1 %) may be applied every four hours on the affected area for moisture absorption.

4. Capsule Itraconazole 200 mg once daily after dinner for three weeks.

5. Avoid stagnation of moisture and sweat and make sure to towel dry your body well after a bath.

6. Make sure to wear loose undergarments and clothing and air the area daily for 10 minutes under a fan after bathing to prevent stagnation of moisture.

7. Capsule Becosule Z (vitamin B-complex) once daily after breakfast for two months.

Make sure your close contacts are also free from ringworm, as they may keep recurring if they are infected as well. Do not share your belongings. Continue the usage of the cream, powder, and soap for more than 12 weeks or till the rashes disappear, as it takes time to go away completely.

I hope this helps you.

|