Q. How to cure ringworm infection in the waist area?

Dr. Dhepe Snehal Laul
and medically reviewed by Dr.P.C.Pavithra Pattu

I have ringworm infection in the waist area for the last 15 days. I have applied two or three creams, but the condition is controlled little only during the cream application. I had the same problem 15 years ago, but that had gone when I applied a lotion and took a tablet that the doctor had suggested then. Now, I am using Luliconazole lotion. Kindly help me with the treatment.

#

I have gone through your query and need to know the answers to the following questions to suggest a proper treatment.

1) Are you diabetic?

2) Did you scratch or rub the lesion excessively?

3) Do the margins of the lesion look like they are spreading?

4) Do you have itching at present?

5) Do you wear occlusive clothes?

6) Do you have chronic friction in that area?

7) Do you have excessive sweating in that area?

Thanks for your reply. I am not diabetic. The lesion has spreading margins. I do not scratch or rub the lesions. I do not wear tight occlusive clothes with chronic friction, and I do not have excessive sweating.

#

It is Tinea corporis (superficial fungal) infection caused by dermatophytes. I would suggest the following treatment:

1) Apply Luliconazole cream twice daily in morning and at night for three weeks.

2) Apply Miconazole cream in the evening for three weeks.

3) You can use Ketoconazole soap or Dersil AF body wash for one month.

4) Tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg at night after food for seven days (if itching is present).

5) Avoid scratching and rubbing of lesions as it causes secondary bacterial infection and spreading of infection.

6) Keep the nails short.

7) Wear loose comfortable thin cotton clothes. Avoid occlusive clothes.

8) Avoid moisture as moisture favors fungal growth. Keep the area dry and clean.

9) Avoid activities which cause sweating.

10) Apply Candid dusting powder (Clotrimazole dusting powder) after bath for one month.

|