Q. Can I lower the dosage of tablet Risperidone if my anxiety has improved?

I have taken Risperidone 1 mg for anxiety for about seven weeks and tried to lower the dose by taking it less than once a day, for example, once in every 36 hours and later maybe every 48 hours. I do this because anxiety has improved, and the medicine makes me feel bad. My question is that will this cause any harm, or is it bad to lower the dose like this? I understand the risk of getting anxiety back by doing this, but I want to know if there is any other harm that this could cause.

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern.

First of all, I like to inform you that lowering the dose can be done without any risk other than the reappearance of symptoms and further need to increase the dose of medication. If this is your first episode of psychiatric symptoms, most scientific literature suggests continuing the medicines for atleast six months, and stopping it earlier can cause a relapse of symptoms.

I also like to inform you that the prescription of tablet Risperidone is generally made for psychotic symptoms, and anxiety can be the just contributing factor rather than the only symptom.

|