Q. Can Risperidone cause breast cancer?

Dr. Sathya Prakash
Published on Jul 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I took Risperidone 3 mg daily for 11 months. Can it cause breast cancer? Also, I took ayurveda medicine for irregular periods. When I developed loss of appetite and nausea I stopped it. I took it only for one and a half month. I did not inform my psychiatrist about this. Please help.

#

• Risperidone can cause a condition known as hyperprolactinemia or an increase in serum prolactin levels. This is associated with a number of symptoms, including secretion of milk from the breast, stoppage of periods, etc.
  • The increased risk of cancer is something that you should not worry about at all. Just as there are reports of increased risk, there are also reports of decreased risk.
  • In fact, Risperidone has also been used to treat breast cancer. This is under academic discussion and the current consensus is that there is no definitive evidence to support the statement that Risperidone causes cancer. So, do not worry about it.
  • In any case, since you have stopped taking it now, it will not affect you.
  • Regarding ayurveda medicine too, since you have stopped taking it, there is nothing to worry. If you have any persisting symptoms now, then we can look into it.

In any case, please get the following tests. Serum prolactin level, thyroid profile, hemogram, RBS (random blood sugar), KFT (kidney function tests) and LFT (liver function tests).

Revert back with the reports and specific persisting symptoms to a psychotherapist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychotherapist

Kindly advise ayurveda treatment for uterine fibroid.

Query: Hi doctor,I have a fibroid of 9.6 × 6.9 cm. It is an intramural fibroid. I have heavy bleeding and back pain during my periods. I also have PCOS. I am taking Rasagandhi mezhugu. What medicine should I take along with Rasagandhi mezhugu for fibroid? Since the size of my fibroid is big, please give m...  Read Full »

Whom should I consult for my daughter's high prolactin?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter's prolactin is 238. What is the cause behind this? Whom should I consult for this? What is the further treatment? There is no headache or stress. She had some periods problem before and now she is fine with that. Please help.  Read Full »

I am in my 30s and I have PCOS and a high prolactin level. Can I get pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31-year-old female. I have PCOS, high prolactin level, my TSH is 4.26 for which I am taking medicine and for prolactin and my AMH is 17. I got pregnant with twins when I was taking 100 mg of Clomid but there was no heartbeat by week 10. I had a few miscarriages two years ago a...  Read Full »

Ask a Psychotherapist Now