Q. Does this root canal treated tooth of mine require a post?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 20, 2020

Could you please review the attached photos and x-ray taken before treatment, post root canal and post temporary filing. Please let me know whether a post is required. Or is core filling with crown sufficient?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

• By looking at your pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it seems that there is an adequate original tooth structure for placement of crown without a post.
  • I would say it is up to you to decide, as the tooth in the current condition has enough strength to place a crown without post if the tooth preparation (cutting the tooth from all sides to place a crown) is done properly and minimally.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

| 

How to Avoid Dental Neglects?

Article Overview: In recent years, most people are aware of or at least have heard of root canal treatment, crowns, bridges, dentures, and dental implants. What they do not realize is that these are treatments for a dental disaster. People go in search of a dentist only if there is a shooting pain. They forget the that there are certain preventive measures to save the tooth. This article reveals the tips and tricks for a better oral hygiene and also discusses the most common dental neglects. Read Article

From childhood, we are taught how to take care of our oral cavity, and it is engraved in our minds. Tooth brushing remains the major pillar in maintaining good oral hygiene. But, is that the only way to prevent dental disasters? Do you think we are neglecting something? The answer is yes. Statistics...  Read Article

Will root canal be done in a broken tooth?

Query: Hello doctor, I am meant to be having a root canal filling in one of my teeth. I have had it temporarily filled twice and now it has fallen out but it feels like there is only one side of my tooth almost like it has broken in half. Will they still do the root canal filling?  Read Full »

What treatment choices do I have for fused front teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, My front teeth are fused together. Even smiling properly is an ordeal. What treatment choices do I have? Is there anything which is not so invasive like veneers? If extraction turns out to be the only option, will my teeth be removed from the roots? Is anything else possible? I really ...  Read Full »